1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Akasa Tesla H Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 20 Mar 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

2x 2.5" drivebays...

...while the NUC only has a single SATA-connector :confused:

3. Revil0

Revil0 99% lurking

I quite like the idea!

4. kent thomsen

kent thomsen What's a Dremel?

Under my desk, I have an Antec P182, containing an i7 3770 on an Intel "Skull" P67 mobo and a GTX650 GPU. And a 120 GB SSD and 16 GB ram. A fairly potent system, except for gaming.

It´s cladded with both bitumen mats for anti-resonance, and foam pads for noiseblocking. It´s got 4 Antec True Quiet 120mm fans and a Coolermaster EVO CPU cooler.

The whole thing is very quiet, during daytime you won´t hear it at all, in the dead silence of night you´ll just be able to hear it.

But it also weighs close to 20 kg, and you all know how much space a P182 will take up...

And here comes these new NUC´s and cabinets to match. And it´s got everything: It´s near-silent, ultralightweight and about the size of a DVD-drive. And pretty strong performance already.

When I look at the performance numbers, of course there´s a long way yet, before they reach the performance of my present system.

But I´m sure it will come before you know it, and then you can count me in for one or more around the house. This is definitely the future for "desktops" as far as I see it.

Looking forward to the next generations and reviews.

Thnx.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Does the Msata adapter sell separately? That little guy would come in handy...
    -Ah, nevermind. Morning sleepy brain.

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Kent - you should also check out this - Akasa's mini-ITX fanless case. Couple that with a 35W desktop Core i5 CPU and a thin motherboard and you'll have something that's way more powerful than a NUC!

Tyinsar likes this.
  7. kent thomsen

kent thomsen What's a Dremel?

"Kent - you should also check out this - Akasa's mini-ITX fanless case. Couple that with a 35W desktop Core i5 CPU and a thin motherboard and you'll have something that's way more powerful than a NUC![/QUOTE]

That looks unteresting as well! And I wouldn´t be afraid to drill a few holes in it and place a quite 140mm fan right on top of it and let that blow slowly downwards or something, it would still be whisper quiet...

It´s not more than six monyhs since I put my system together, so it´l be a little while before I splash out again.

But at that time, these little machines will be even stronger. A bit sad for the old Antec, but this is the way things go.

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

@ Antony Leather: Thank you.

9. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

nice review......ads are too much now....

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm extremely tempted to go down the NUC route, but now I'm swithering as to whether a thin mini ITX might be a better bet, per Meanmotion's suggestion. Can someone give me a quick rundown of pros and cons between NUC and thin mITX?

Also, is it viable to mount either a Euler or an NUC behind my monitor (a Dell 2412M)? I assume that I'd have to swap the standard Dell stand for a VESA one, but can anyone clarify?

Cheers dudes!

11. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Loving my HP Microserver - the move to small makes so much sense...

12. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Thanks for the review bit-tech. I wonder if you'd consider placing a ten pence piece (or a can) next to one of these NUC cases, as I'm finding it hard to get a sense of scale from the pictures. Otherwise, I'm hoping NUCs will come down in price, and in the near future I'll be able to install the release version of Steam OS on one and do some game streaming with it.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2014
  13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

My new server is running on a mini-ITX mono I got from Bindi, but it's in a 4u rackmount case, which kind of defeats the purpose of small. It looks so lonely in there :lol:

14. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

My missus told me no racks! I bought the Microserver because of recommendations on Bit-Tech - you guys rock :)

15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i'd like to see one with an mxm3.0a connector.

Tags: Add Tags