1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image display issue

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by maeterlinck, 2 Jul 2005.

1. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

Hello Bit-Tech Mods (and who-ever is in charge of the forum code)!

I've just noticed an issue with some javascript that is applied to user submitted images. The idea is to stop images over 650px wide displaying and killing the CSS style sheet, it works in general but there are certain senarios when it doesn't...
    If the image is greater than 650px wide then all works.
    If the image is less than 650px wide then the OnClick JS event is still active.
    If the image is surrounded with an anchor ref tag then the two windows will open.
    A example can be seen on this project log thead: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1007449

cheers!

Last edited: 2 Jul 2005
  2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Ive noticed that to. Kinda annoying because a image that looks like it can be enlarged because its a similar size ends up just opening a new window.

3. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Its blooming annoying really !

4. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

tbh, it's not especially considerate to post 1600x1200 images in forum threads anyway. The code resizes images to 650-wide I believe so they don't break the template. If people resized their 5MP photos to 640x480 before posting them, you guys wouldn't get annoyed, our 56k / GPRS mobile readers will be grateful, and the poster will use less bandwidth on their hosting.

Simple really

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I've started resizing a number of pics I post to 650 wide now, if they are wider to start with, and like you say it still brings up a window when clicking the image.

6. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I know it seems like a bit of an arse, but it isn't once you get in the habit of it, and I've just read of several people complaining their free image hosting has killed their accounts. One guy did more than 1000MB that month. If you resize to 648x480 with some sensible compression, your pics should be only 50-100k each.

I use this program to resize entire folders of images at a time: http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

No, NOT pr0n - worklog photos! It's free and it's great!

7. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Yeah but it affects people who use thumbnails like myself more than others, I do this to save my bandwidth, they link to 800x600 shots which aren't massive. Any smaller and they are pointless.

The plug in saves absolutly no bandwidth whatsoever , all it does is change the dimensions of the image so it is pointless on the bandwidth saving front.

If people post massive images they should just have their thread edited , then there is no need for any plugin's.

8. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Windows xp has a tool to do the same thing its part of the powertoys suite.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

He said if people scaled their 5MP images to 640x480 before posting them, there wouldn't be the need for the plugin and it'd save bandwidth because GPRS/56k users wouldn't have to download huge images for them only to be resized. :)

10. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

If they resized everything you wouldnt need the plugin tho. So none of this would be a problem :)

TBh its better having people post large images and having it pointed out that there is a problem or they will never change and will keep posting 2mb images.

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I have fixed the issue with it opening a window regardless of size. Sorry for that error.

12. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

:clap: :thumb:

13. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

I actually used the resizing script to be lazy, as if I upload a 800*600 image or so, it will be automatically resized, and linked to the bigger picture in a way. Now, if you click an image, it no longer opens the full-size picture?

14. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Interesting, you are right, wonder why that is ... I'll work on it Zephyr.

Finally solved the problem, I was being a bit dense.

15. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

I agree totally, and it is general 'net-equite' not to post huge images unless you need to. However, forcing a resizing plug-in isn't going to stop people from posting images - they need to be contacted and educated, because the only thing that this javascript does is ensure that the template isn't broken.
    Maybe a better solution would be to resize the images on the fly with really low quality and add a piece of text explaining why. People would sort things out then.
    (I also know the obvious implications to downloading, resizing, and then serving the resultant image :D)

16. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

or just replace the pics with a link like :
    http://bla.net/images/knkjl.jpg - pic to big

suppose you could allow people to change the auto resize for them selves with an option like changing the theme - would make it nicer for people with big monitors.

17. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Ever sence this auto resize has gotten put in, ive felt no need to waste my time auto resizing my 3.2MP images. Bit-tech automadicly makes a smaller one for me and if someone wants to see the pic in full detail, they just click it. :)
    Bandwidth is not a issue with me because i have the files hosted on my website and i pay for 330GB monthly transfer.

18. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Can you please provide an option to disable image resizing on a per-user basis?
    Remember, some of us have DSL modems and large monitors!
    And even back in the days when all I had was 56k, I am used to opening a project log, taking a break or doing something else for a few minutes, and then coming back with a page with all pictures loaded.

19. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

And that is the problem with the plugin....

20. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Still takes an age to view it as the script does not resize the image to a smaller file just the viewable dimentions!

Also people like me who don't often view the larger images get to see the horrible quality resized pics too.