1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zalman and Asetek - new heatsinks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 18 Aug 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

i had higher hopes for the zalman. I bet if you lapped it you could get much lower temps

3. koola

koola Minimodder

Didn't think the zalman could replace my wc system, but I wonder how loud it sounds on its maximum setting?

4. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Same. I've been waiting for this thing to become available (retail) for aaaages and now I'm a little unsure as what to buy. :sigh:

Maybe I'll stick to the CNPS7000B?

5. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

We can always ducktape another fan to the other side of Zalman heatsink surpassing our expectations and making temps a lot lower.... mhmmmm looower...

6. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

I've got the Vapo mirco on a 3800 X2 and it stays at a nice 38C idle 45CLoad @2.3Ghz but it is not the nicest thing to look at :sigh: overwise its a great cooler :)

7. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Well, that was a letdown. :sigh:

Think I'll be sticking with my CU7000. ;)

8. jackjr

jackjr What's a Dremel?

That's a bit disappointing (the Zalman). I was really looking forward to the release of this and was extremely excited to see the difference in temp.. What a bummer..

9. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Christ, I'd fear that the Zalman cooler (what ever they say) would break of and tear my mobo a part during ruff transportation to LAN's... :worried:
    I'd guess it'll hold under normal circumstances but I sometimes carry my pc
    on a "wheelbarrow" to lokal LAN's...
    (never try this at home :nono: I almost wrecked my crappy old 19" monitor...) :duh:

Last edited: 18 Aug 2005
  10. Neo40k

Neo40k What's a Dremel?

the asetek design is rather neat even though its #s are low (well high!!)
    but why would they make it swivel??? it adds another thermal break. :wallbash:

the Zalman looks wicked and appeas to work well.... shame on them for not have a flat bottom though. :hehe:

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Bah, Thats a shame, I was gonna look into that Zalman... :(

12. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Just a thought but did you try the Asetek in another orientation, like facing the exhaust fan, or was it an open case test. I know with some tower coolers this can make a difference in temps.

13. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

I'd have to agree its fairly disappointing to see that the Zalman wasn't surfaced properly. I just picked up a pair of cu700's and a cu7700 for my new system
    (x2 4400, a8n sli premium, 2x asus 7800 gtx) :D and the surfaces were damn near perfect, so this is a let down. Maybe it was just a bad unit? Oh well, should be interesting to see when they release the 120mm version ;)

14. Firefox90

Firefox90 What's a Dremel?

Meh...I was going to finally upgrade my stock cooling to that Zalman, but it doesn't look that impressive. Do I have uber stock cooling or what? This is what is holding me back.

[​IMG]

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I don't care if they're good or not... they look completely retarded , and the weight MUST put a great deal of stress on the mobo/socket. Just stupid.... for God sake, just water cool your rig if you're THAT bothered about having lower temps!

I'd like a review that tests how many times you can actually move your PC without fracturing the connection between your socket and MoBo with one of these behemoths attached to it.

16. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I agree that the Zalman could've been lapped for theoretically better performance - I suggested it in the Editing process - however, since this is how the sample was provided, this is also how thousands of people will no doubt install it, so the results reflect that.

For the few enthusiasts like you & me, we'd lap that fella nice & smooth, and I'd guess it would knock a couple of degree off perhaps...

Firefox90: what CPU do you have mate? It's either not very fast, or you have some hefty air-con: MB temps normally start around 30C, with CPUs around 35C. The fact your mobo temp says 20C strikes me as unusual.

Oh, and for the record in case people aren't aware of such things, CPUs are commonly rated to run as high as 60C, 70C or even more. Lower daily operating temps are commonly believed to lead to a longer life, but we're talking 5 years over 4 years etc.

The good thing about the Zalman is that you can set it to near-silent and still only hit 51C under load (and we're talking an FX-55 here!). Yes, the stock cooler is 54C, but that's quite noise in comparison. If you were to set the noise levels the same (because maybe you play games with headphones) the Zalman is 40C vs 54C - quite a difference.

17. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Oh my god the huge. One day a heatsink will be as big as a shuttle PC.LMFAO
    Why can't these compays man a jump from heatsink to water cooling.

18. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Cost, reliability, Technical Support... there are many reasons, though there are several off the shelf systems - we've all be discussing the Zalman, but Asetek make the excellent WaterChill range.

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I dont really see what's wrong with these temperatures.... 40C in full load is actualy really good , how can you expect more from aircooling when using such a powerful processor?

I got a CNSP7700Cu, wich is an excellent heatsink , and my prescott 2.8@3.3Ghz is at 40°C in idle with the case opened. Im extremely satisfied , my Intel box could only keep it at 54°C in idle. (0_0)

20. jackpotcoast

jackpotcoast What's a Dremel?

After reading the review, it almost seemed rushed to me. It was like there was a big hurry to get it done, and not go through the normal motions...imo. Maybe they couldve showed the lapped temps and the non lapped temps. How many fans were in the case? As was mentioned before, swiveling the Asetek cooler to another direction. If the one of the coolers actually brought down case temps, that sort of thing. All imo though, you guys are the pros at doin this.

Tags: Add Tags