1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bangs head against vista x64 and smp

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by NoPrisoners, 3 Jun 2009.

1. NoPrisoners

NoPrisoners I love my dremel

After much trying and failing to install the smp mpich console client to install and run properly as a service like it was on my old computer I have almost given up. The problems I am facing are:

1) install.bat just won't work properly and I end up having to set up spmd.exe and mpiexec.exe manually. When running install.bat from an (admin priv) command prompt it just comes up with not recognising spmd and mpiexec. Even after reading the folding wiki and the guides, I can't resolve it?

2) After the above problem and installing them manually and configuring the client and service, once the service is started, it appears not to be running properly i.e. I can't find the work folder or the FAHlog file for it, but CPU usage has gone up.

Can anyone help with this? Anyone had similar problems and resolved them or still ongoing. Since I now have i7 I would like to put it to good use.

Thanks

2. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

if the CPU usage is up u may find that it's just that the work folder is not the same in Vista as it is in xp. you need to specify "-local" for it to use the directory it was launched from.
    if not it uses the appdata directory i belive. there is something about that on the FAH forum.

3. NoPrisoners

Thank you, I shall give it a try.

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Turn off UAC

5. NoPrisoners

Right I've got it running as a service finally, it's running in the system32 folder (as I am unable to get it to run from the local folder, where installed).

Although it downloads the cores + work, it seems to get stuck on the following bit:

[11:59:36] + Processing work unit
    [11:59:36] Work type a1 not eligible for variable processors
    [11:59:36] Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
    [11:59:36] - Autosending finished units... [June 6 11:59:36 UTC]
    [11:59:36] Trying to send all finished work units
    [11:59:36] + No unsent completed units remaining.
    [11:59:36] - Autosend completed
    [11:59:36] Core found.
    [11:59:36] Using generic mpiexec calls
    [11:59:36] Working on queue slot 02 [June 6 11:59:36 UTC]
    [11:59:36] + Working ...
    [11:59:36] - Calling 'mpiexec -np 4 -channel auto -host 127.0.0.1 FahCore_a1.exe -dir work/ -suffix 02 -checkpoint 15 -service -verbose -lifeline 5832 -version 623'

Is this a problem or am I just being impatient?

Thanks

N.B. I'm also running the GPU client

6. NoPrisoners

Managed to sort it and get it running from the correct directory now getting ~3500 ppd out of my i7.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I get 4200 from my Q6600 on an average day... something tells me you might be better switching to VMware SMP? It would have been a lot easier (IMO) to set up than this as well.

8. NoPrisoners

It's something i've been looking into and would be a good idea next I set it up. I think that as i've got the SMP client set to the same (idle) priority as the GPU client mite reduce the ppd a bit? What kind of score would I be likely to get but using the Vmware SMP client?

9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Running 2x SMP clients in VMWARE usually doubles your output.

Set the GPU to slightly higher priority