1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Identify the component

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Big Elf, 13 Mar 2014.

1. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Can anyone tell me what the highlighted component is please? The little black thing soldered with 2 legs to the motherboard.

[​IMG]

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Voltage regulator. Couldn't tell you *what* voltage regulator without a look at the markings on it, mind.

Big Elf likes this.
  3. Big Elf

Thanks, it doesn't have anything to do with the memory does it? The markings are obscured by a puddle of melted stuff so I'll try to find a good image.

This mobo won't recognise a memory channel and despite looking closely before this is the first time I've spotted it.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Without seeing a schematic for the board, I have absolutely no idea. It's near the memory slots, so it's possible - although it's also near the power connector, so it's also possible that it's nothing to do with the memory at all.
    Well, that doesn't sound promising. I'd say it's the source of your problems for sure - melted bits are never a good sign!

5. Big Elf

I'm deciding whether to try and solder another one in although it might be easier to try and find another mobo.

6. badsector

badsector i7

It could be one of several device types, including the voltage regulator as suggested. It could also be a MOSFET which you might find near a fan connector to PWM speed control the fan? Its actually got three pins, the two soldered ones which you see. The middle stubby one is a pin and is usually connected to a metal block at the rear of the plastic case as well as the small tab at the very top of the device. The metal block at the back of the package serves a dual role as a small heatsink and is soldered to the PCB.

7. Big Elf

One of the fan connectors near to it is a 4 pin one but I think it's voltage controlled rather than PWM. Both of the connectors near to the regulator work so maybe it just overheated badly.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I don't know why, but I thought this was going to be similar to the 'Guess the Film' thread in General... :/