1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft to release free anti-virus service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

So they found a use for the now defunct Microsoft ******, sorry OneCare service.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Not learning though are they, they've just been forced to remove IE.

4. sear

sear Guest

This seems like a good move. Microsoft's idea has always been to package basic software in with its operating system, allowing users a decent product while at the same time leaving the door open for competition. Most people I know do not have anti-virus software and regularly deal with virus problems because of it. Even basic protection could be a huge improvement for many people. Most people do not need networking, parental controls, paranoid firewalls, etc. anyway.

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

Not a bad idea. The amount of people who think avast/avg/antivir etc etc are rubbish because they are free is amazing. If the product is free from microsoft then they may be a little more inclined to use it.

I see a lot of peoples (friends, parents friends, random people we know) who's computers have Norton from 3 years ago which is out of date and keeps telling them to buy it. They seem to think they are protected more than a free anti virus.

Anything to stop the spread of infections through everyday user's computers and stops me from having to spend hours of my life cleaning said infections is a good thing.

6. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

I would complain about antitrust but the reality is that Symantec and Mcafee are both so horrendously bad at what they do they *need* to go out of business. No, the new Norton 2009 is still a peice of crap. AVG and Antivir have allowed me to recover systems that other people would have written off as unfixable. I cannot count how many viruses I have seen Norton and Mcafee classify as low distribution less then 100-1000 instances of infection. It is because their software doesn't see it, not because it has a low rate of infection. Again, these two companies *need* to go out of business.

7. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Sorry won't be included in the EU release for antitrust concerns

8. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

No thank you! I would not ever use it or encourage anyone else too. The majority of my security issues are not virus concerns but the root of the problem, shutting up Windows OS. The last thing I want is a AV from the same publisher.

9. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

So why do you run Windows?

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i find norton 2009 products are protecting the pcs better then alot of free ones and uses a lot less CPU use at the same time (older norton 2008 to 2004 was just getting more Blotware more so norton 360 2.0 or lower as that was ver bad on a lot of pcs i worked on, now norton 360 is at 3.0 its based on 2009 tech and pcs go far faster now as it only does tasks when your away form the pc), norton 2009 products only have 2-3 programs open when system is running norm, auto update is an puls based update so antivius is norm not much more then 5-15 mins out of date (very small 5-50KB updates)

onecare is about as bad as norton 360 2.0 or lower just slows the pc down i have to disable it when i work on customers pcs as it really slows them down (these are fast pcs)

mcafee is about the worst antivirus software to use at this time (12 programs that run in the background auto update need 150-200MB of ram to start up on some pcs)

i have been recommending AVG for the best part of 2 years as it was fast the new AVG is not so good (and why does AVG recommend to do daily scans that takes 2 hrs to do and utterly slow the pc down for that time)

11. fodder

fodder Minimodder

It's ok justifying the cost of Norton/Macafee due to all the extra stuff you get, but most people just don't use it and those that would normally go for a far better stand alone solution.

12. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

I am all for improving the basic level of protection for the stupid average joe. Anything to help stop the inevitable "Your good with computers so HAVE to fix it for me (and its your fault)" calls. Also those damn spam botnets.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

nod32 is the only anti-virus I've found that doesn't suck.

I've only ever had like 3 viruses, in all cases I just formatted.

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Bah another piece of bloatware, I'll stick to linux for virus checking and comodo when I'm gaming on windows.

15. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Lol if McAfee has changed their name to McAfree like in the article I don't think they will be worried :p

16. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

seems like a good idea.. offers the consumer more choice.. and hopefully it will help the n00bs stay protected from crap out in The Wild. .. remains to be seen how it will actually work though.. here's to hoping

17. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

But Microsoft are the Virus, you mean they want to protect us from themselves?

18. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

God tell me about it. I remember watching "grumpy young men" and 1 bloke saying that he feels like an "IT prostitute" who gets whored out by his mum to anyone with a PC problem.... which is exactly the same with me. >.<

19. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Oh I misread the headline. I thought it said "microsoft to release virus-free service." Stupid me.

20. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

+1 I use ESET (nod32 + firewall, ect...)

It is great really light running... never had a virus since have started using it (it had caught everything from tracking cookies to trojans in torrents) Well worth the money.

Tags: Add Tags