1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Developer Blog: Hello World!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

should be an interesting read

i work for a small (5 man) dev team sadly only making windows applications not games. it will be interesting to see how problems correlate

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

:) cracking game, i remember seeing it on bytejacker I think where it was highly rated and looked very cool. I will def pick it up when get a working machine!

I'd like to know.... what dev tools you use for coding, audio creation and 2d/3d visuals? Is it your own engine? What do you code in?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

4. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Great, I'll be looking foward to these.

I'll most likely be buying this, as concept idea is incredible.

5. CardJoe

Personally, I just want to know where I can get the soundtrack. The song in the trailer is awesome.

6. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I'll be following this for sure, a likely buy for me too

7. SoulRider

SoulRider What's a Dremel?

I may be wrong, but I believe it's from Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells II, been a long time since I heard the album though, so may have got that wrong..

8. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Should be an interesting series to follow, as well as an exciting looking game.

I am currently working on animations for a small experimental exploration/hack and slash game as well as polishing up the design document for a physics based puzzle game, so I will be very interested in seeing your process. Is theres any insight you can give into your design process for Frozen Synapse up until this point?

As for the state of the UK industry, that is starting to become pretty relevant to me, as the Australian industry seems to slowly dying, or at least, slowly dying in Melbourne.

9. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I can't wait to get a job in the industry, but atm EVERY job I go for says "only bother applying if you have worked on a shipped A+++++ title, if you haven't you are less than scum to us"

How the hell is anyone meant to get experience if they demand only people with experience?

My degree was a complete waste of time.

10. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

You can argue that with any job really.
    Thats the sole reason i say Uni can be overrated at times. Depending on the job ofc.

11. PaulMode7

PaulMode7 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

I can assure you the soundtrack is not Tubular Bells! It's original music for the Frozen Synapse soundtrack.

I hope I can answer some of your questions next week.

12. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

I am definitely looking forward to this. Possible game to play on lunch break?

13. Cabe6403

Make an iPhone game or something with equal scope. Should be easy enough for one person to come up with a decent game or two in not too long a period. Then when you apply for a job be like "I don't have any AAA experience but here's some stuff I've made in my spare time"

I was talking with a guy who has worked in a number of large studios a while back and he said that that really sets people apart.

14. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Or a mod, or some levels, or a scripted campaign (NWN or Arma etc). It's similar with journalism: we want experience, but writing for your own blog, student paper etc are all good ways to get that experience.

15. CardJoe

Aye. All the developers I chat too say they look for people who show their own work done off their own back. iPhone games are an obvious way to make money, but as Alex says it does go as far as designing maps, working on mods and so on.

16. Cabe6403

Precisely. If you can't get experience elsewhere, make your own. It shows initiative and a passion for what you want to do.

Many developers will be just as impressed with a mod you've done yourself or as part of a small team (presuming you've made significant contribution to the project) as if you were a part of a much larger AAA title.

Example from id software:
    Obviously id are pretty massive and it'd be easier to get into less well known developers but the point stands.

Valve are big into employing from the mod community. Team Fortress was a 3rd party mod created by a small team of non-professionals. They ended up getting picked up by Valve to develop TF2 in house.

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I've done some messing around making a few "games" but I'm interested in making a (simple) proper game and I want to go into games design after Uni so I shall follow this with interest.

Tags: Add Tags