1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No price cut for UK, declares Sony

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Flibblebot, 13 Jul 2007.

1. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Yet again, the Europe gets shafted.:wallbash:
    They're not really giving people here much of an incentive to buy a PS3... :(

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

So your complaining that instead of just getting a PS3 for £400 you get a PS3,2 controllers, RFoM and Motorstorm, that is a poor deal.

For some people it won't matter what Sony do, if it was the same price as a 360 people would still find reasons not to buy, if you don't like it don't buy it, no point moaning about it, it is what it is, simple really.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

It is when you consider that its ~US$850 quite a bit more than our cousins across the pond i'm sure you'll agree.

4. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I won't be buying one, as Sandys' states we get a raw deal on the price compared to the US and with the high failure rate of xbox 360s and the no stock of Wii's this isn't really a good time to purchase a console. I think I'll do a pc upgrade when money permits.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Some one didn't get the sarcasm in my post :lol:

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The whole problem is that Europeans are already paying way over the odds for a PS3 when compared to the US or Japan. And just to rub salt in the wounds, when other countries get a price drop, Europe doesn't get anything. The package is not a poor deal when you compare it against the current European price, but sucks big time when you compare it against the US or Japanese prices.

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

To put it into context, a PS3 at current prices in the US is $500~ which works out to around £260.

In the UK it's £400 which is around $800~.

Would you pay $800 for one?

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Hmmm, so your saying that people aren't buying the PS3 because they are just spiteful?

I have an alternative theory.

It's overpriced. The hardware might be the best, and the price may reflect the actual cost of the thing to build, but no-one is used to consoles costing that much. It alienates a lot of people who were just about able to scrape a PS2 when they came out at £300. Their natural reaction is to defend their lack of money by simply saying that it's a shite console any they don't want to buy it anyway. Sony havn't helped the situation by pretty much backing up that claim. I'm not saying it is a shite console, but if you read the news no-one is reporting on how good it is. The final nail in the coffin is how badly shafted Europe is compared to the rest of the newsworthy world. (no-one cares that some tiny country in the middle of the sea somewhere has to pay three times the price)

If I compare my wii to the PS3 for a second, here's another thing. I buy my wii, it costs £180 + £30 for a game. I buy my PS3, it costs me £500 + £40 for a game. After about a month I realise how lacking in decent titles my consoles actually are. With the wii, I can see some genuinely decent and original titles on the horizon, and who cares, it only cost £180, I can wait and just play zelda and all my old GC games again which for some reason are more exciting on my wii. My PS3 though! The games kinda sucked. They may look pretty, but no-one can deny they are a bit lacking in solid genuine depth and content. Adding to insult, I have to play all my old games on my old consoles. And finally, the damn thing cost me half a grand!

That was just a mythical example, I wouldn't buy a console when it doesn't have a decent game library for £500. I can afford it at a stretch. But I see no point for at least a couple of years.

The ones who do buy it and then decide they think its ****, but wont admit they made a bad purchase seem to overnight convert into fanboy's and will defend their george forman until the end. They will just defend it because they would seem stupid for buying a crap console.

I have a friend who is always reminding me how awesome it is. But looking at the thing, it just seems to be a big dust magnet and I don't think its been used at all in the last 2 months...

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

As mentioned in the other post lots of things are cheaper in the US but people don't stop buying them, cars, electronics etc. why just boycott the PS3, it seems odd to me, are all these people boycotting cars, TVs, PC hardware?

Whilst its annoying directing your anger at one company seems a bit foolish, market prices are what they are due to the costs associated with operating in that market.

It always used to get my goat that I could buy a Civic Type R in the UK for £17k but off of the same production line in the UK the JDM Type R was produced, it had higher spec with LSD etc. and could be bought in Japan and imported to the UK under SVA type approval for less than buying a UK one, it was down to the cost of the support network and numerous taxes related to selling in the UK.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

At no point has a PS3 cost £500 in the UK, perhaps you're upset because you got ripped. :confused: I play all my old PS2 titles on my PS3 too, dunno what your problem is?

11. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

a slight difference there is you are allowed to import a car from abroad, and tv's etc, as long as you pay the relevant import duties, Sony seem to forbid importing its console by stoping stores from exporting.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The problem I have with everones whineing is that it directed at one company

The 360 Premuim is $399

The PS3 prior to price cut was $599

I've used the price from Oanda.com for USD to GBP.

PS3 $599 + sales tax = £294 + tax
    Xbox360 Premuim $399 + sales tax = £196 + tax

Sales tax in California where I normally go is either 7 or 10%, I don't recall.

UK price in UK includes taxes

X360 = £280
    PS3 = £425

I know you can get both cheaper I am just sticking to RRP.

So anyway the price difference between a US X360 and a UK one is about 43% and guess what so is the bloody PS3 within a pound or two. Did the price difference stop you getting a X360.

You're all just looking for something to whinge about and believing everything inaccurately reported (or spun negatively toward Sony at least) on sites like this as fact without doing your own research.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2007
  13. DougEdey

I'm not denying it's a good price for what you get, I do want a PS3 (I mean really want it) but I still feel insulted by the way Sony have treated me as a European by denying us the console originally then saying we were "lucky" to get it. They treat us as though we are a tiny area. Despite the fact that Nintendo are making billions out of Europe and so are Microsoft.

14. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Wasn't the original price point £499?

Maybe I'm mistaken.

I don't see your point about picking on one company though, they have undeniably screwed up in many areas, and besides, Sony's a big boy now, I'm sure he can take it.

Oh and you see to be ignoring the **** that MSoft are getting for the faulty 360's, Vista, games for windows, and a lot of other stuff. Even nintendo are getting in some bother over the lack of systems available because they are selling so damn quick.

15. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

Of course, now the 60Gb PS3 is cheaper in US we are paying more than 43% more, surely the europe price should change to maintain the fair almost 1.5 times price we pay.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Well no because the US bundle is $599 with 1 game and 80Gb where as we'll get 2 games and 60Gb, much of a muchness really.

Sure the unbundled works out at about £246 now with the price reduction and if you want to get that you can, ASDA have the PS3 alone at £350 which is the equiv price with UK markup, I am sure others will do the same once the bundle is released to shift units, give it a couple of weeks.

17. Major

Major Guest

Think you will find that the US gets the majority of things cheaper than us, cars, houses, hardware. The list goes on, just think of the size of the US and then the UK. Yeah it's expensive but it always has been on everything,

18. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

In practice, Canada has cheaper computer hardware than the United States--almost as cheap as Taiwan! But you'd have to look very hard for special warehouse outlets who sell at those prices. That's why, on average, prices in America are lower, but the absolute best deals can be found in Canada. Example: Logitech G25 steering wheel with pedals and gated shifter for $150 (£70). Anyone want one + shipping?

Last edited: 13 Jul 2007
  19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Cheapest I found that over here is £145 :(

20. DougEdey

Amon: do you have a website

Tags: