1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide How to make a DIY 30" Metal Brake

Discussion in 'Modding' started by LazyMan, 30 Sep 2012.

1. LazyMan

LazyMan What's a Dremel?

Here is what it looks like completed.....This is just a basic 30" metal brake made from scrap steel. With this one you will be able to make multiple simple bends in sheet metal or aluminum. Eventually I will add "fingers" so that I can make complete 4 sided boxes.
    Follow the tutorial to make one yourself and be sure to see the short video at the end

[​IMG]

Material I used....10" channel, 2 pieces of 2 1/2"X2 1/2"X1/4" angle iron, 3/4" pipe, 1/2" pipe, 2-3/4" nuts, 2-3/4" thread plugs, 2-3/4" thread couplings, 2-3/4" metal washers and 2-3/8"X 1 1/2" long bolts (not shown)

[​IMG]

First I buffed all the rust and then started
    laying out where I will make the needed cuts for the hinges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will use 3/4" pipe for the hinges and a 1/2" pipe for the pins

[​IMG]

Just more pics showing what I will need to cut out. I am using a Metabo with a 6" cutting disc to make the cuts. Let the sparks fly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will now need to drill a couple holes to mount down the actual piece that your material will bend against. You can use a drill motor to do this, but it sure helps if you have a drill press. I drill 1/2" holes to accept 3/8" bolts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fitting the 2 pieces together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tack welded the nuts to the bottom side (not shown)

[​IMG]

Test fitting the hinges before welding them in place

[​IMG]

Now time to weld the hinges in place,
    TAKE YOUR TIME...
    as this is somewhat critical that you get them to line up as perfect as possible. If you do not your bends may not be perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now lets make the pins......I used 1/2" pipe and 3/4" nuts, welded them together and then polished them up a bit so that the would slide easily into the 3/4" hinges.

[​IMG]

Time to see how well the pins and hinges work....... A perfect fit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally all we have to do is make the handles. I used 1/2" pipe about 30" long.
    This is where I used the threaded couplings and the thread plugs. I welded the plugs to the end of the pipe and then welded the couplings to the bottom side of the forward support bracket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to bend some aluminum....

[​IMG]

I use a ratchet to quickly tighten down the bolts

[​IMG]

Now lets see how good she works......

[​IMG]

Not to bad if I say so myself!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out this quick video showing how the Metal Brake works

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2366674662903&set=vb.421386057913607&t ype=2&theater

Scirocco, ShinyAli and Attila like this.
  2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Awesome guide and nice break. :thumb: +rep.

3. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

+ rep :thumb:

Great job and a good size as well, I recently bought a 50cm brake from an engineering firm that make them in limited numbers and they even laser cut some of the hinge parts and it's so much better than many of the cheap Chinese brakes you see for sale that can barely bend 1mm sheet :rolleyes: and it really makes doing jobs a breeze that previously were a struggle with bits of wood in a vice with little accuracy.

[​IMG]

Mine bends 2mm steel and 3mm ali easy, I've not tried anything thicker as they are the thickest metals I work with, as I'm sure you know but I will mention for anyone that want's a brake and has not used one, a brake might bend say 3mm ali sheet easy when it's only 10cm wide but as the metal gets wider it get's harder to bend so it really pays to invest in a heavy duty brake if you want to buy one.

[​IMG]
    Incidentally, I was watching an engineer using a big folding machine at the shop that did my laser cutting

[​IMG]
    and he showed me this brilliant tool for measuring angles, a digital adjustable square so much easier than using an adjustable square and a protractor to find the angle and quite cheap.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2012
  4. LazyMan

LazyMan What's a Dremel?

Nice brake mate....yeah, the angle finders are real handy. I use them all the time, especially at my day job.

5. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

very nice DIY brake!

if i had some welding skills...

but i do not, hence i had to resort to HF version with the 20% coupon... =)

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Some very nice welding indeed :thumb: