1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics How easy is to connect laptop LCD to PC? Or are there good USB monitors for gaming?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by phinix, 24 Jul 2015.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I was wondering - how easy is to connect laptop LCD in modded PC case?

If I had a good quality laptop screen, some 15" IPS full HD, is it easy to convert its data and power wires to connect to PC? Maybe some kind of internal cable that connects to VGA.

Unless there is good quality USB monitor that can we connected easily and used for games?

I'm planning simple PC with built-in 15" screen for gaming...

I found this screen from Dell XPS 15 laptop for £47, which is 15.6" 1920x1080 LED screen.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2015
  2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

You'd need a controller board that converts VGA/DVI/HDMI to LVDS connector that the screen uses, powers the inverter and so on.

There's an Instructable, and AliExpress does a controller board for the screen you're looking at for $35, although you might be able to find one on eBay.

phinix likes this.
  3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Cool, thanks! :thumb: +REP
    I need to read all this to see how it goes.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Mike, they are available on ebay.
    I've been watching one: Adaptor.
    I had a mad passing idea to put a small 12" panel on the side of a PC, behind the window.

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

This my idea too! I wanted to do that some time ago, then dropped it... Then came back to it.. then dropped it again.. now I would like to have small 13-15" screen attached to PC..AGAIN! :)

Problem is you need to know how to connect these bits, then build some kind of chassis for the panel.
    Also, I would like to have a panel that is capable to play games, with good refresh rate, low lag and ideally 1920x res. IPS ideally too... I'm guessing panel + adapter should be around £80-90.

6. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Phinix, just watch out for the glare you can get from putting a screen behind a window.

I'm sure there was a log on here a few years ago with an LCD in the side panel?

7. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Came across this should do the job

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I think Mosquito done that. It was a see through screen that displayed the image when required. Doubt if it would be nay good for gaming though.

I thought about doing something along the same lines as you with a laptop screen, but all the messing about with connectors put me off. The other way would be a small cheap monitor

9. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I used a laptop screen and controller board a couple months ago and the connections are very easy, it's basically just a plastic ribbon cable which plugs into the back of the screen and also a small power connector if it is required. Those two (or one) cables plug into the controller board then the rest of the sockets on the board are your standard A/V outputs and a power input from an AC adapter.

And you don't have to build a chassis for the screen, I left mine completely bare and mounted to a piece of scrap wood using the laptops hinge mechanism so it has a stand. As long as the controller board and any exposed circuits on the back of the screen don't come in contact with anything conductive your fine - which is easily sorted by covering them with electrical tape !

A quick pic: http://forums.bit-tech.net/picture.php?albumid=2897&pictureid=45716

Last edited: 20 Sep 2015