1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passkey

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Broadwater06, 5 Jul 2016.

1. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Hello there. Just joined the folding team for the first time today. Is it a good idea and important to get a passkey?

2. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

3. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Thank you. I added the passkey just now. I only got one PC but after reading about this in the CustomPC mag and in here I decided to put my Haswell-E and 2 980Ti for good causes.

4. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

If you are folding on your CPU too then make sure you leave at least 2 threads, 1 core, free for the GPU's to fold.

I tend not to fold on CPU if folding on GPU.

You should be getting over 1m PPD from that setup; 450 - 750K from each GPU. Not sure from CPU.

:thumb:

5. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

At the moment, it's on medium for all three. I haven't touched the controls except sliding the bar out of curiosity.

I had a look in Advanced Control and is it the Configure Folding slot to configure? Currently set on -1 for CPU. And likewise for GPUs, all on -1

Hmm, both GPU are not touching 450-750K.

GPU 0 - about 304K
    GPU 1 - about 311K

My set up briefly:

i7 5930K
    Both are Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti

6. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Hi there - welcome aboard :thumb:

Change the CPU setting from -1 to 10, then you are all sorted.
    For the higher PPD, you will need to wait till your first 10 work units have been completed, and then your passkey will kick in and increase your PPD.

7. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Please to be on board. Thank you for your tips. I just changed the CPU setting to 10. I just had a display driver stopped working and lost all progress on GPU 1. I've been getting that on Edge and IE11 since the new driver released and the Web Control was up on Edge so I shut Web Control down. It's back up but crawling slower than usual for GPU 1

8. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Yeah, ignore what I said in previous post, I weren't sure, now I am. Everything is up and running fine.

9. suggestable

suggestable What's a Dremel?

Wow... if you can get that many PPD for one 980Ti, I'm really looking forward to when I bring my new workstation up and running! It has 2x E5-2620 v3 CPUs and 3x 980Ti SC+ EVGA cards.

I'm slowly creeping up the leaderboard (currently rank 943), but only folding with my server's CPUs for now (2x Opteron 6366 HE) and getting around 24k PPD.

Your new rig (OP) is creeping up on me rather rapidly! :thumb:

10. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Nice build suggestable. :thumb:

We need to see pics. :eyebrow:

I would guess you would be hovering around the 2m ppd mark with that setup.

11. suggestable

Thanks Scorpuk.

I'll be posting a good few photos of the build once it's complete.

I've encountered a few issues with the build so far, including finding out that a Corsair AX1200i is insufficient to power the whole system alone. Oops! I've had to add a CX600M and a PS_ON splitter to run it. Once I've got it stable with the three GPUs, I'll be water-cooling all three cards. The build's taken far too long to get this far (about a year in the making...), and there are now newer, faster components available, but I still think it's worth seeing this through :)

Sneak peek of specs:
    ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS,
    Corsair Obsidian 900D,
    Corsair AX1200i + CX600M PSUs,
    2x Xeon E5-2620 v3,
    4x 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133 ECC Registered (12 slots free),
    2x EK Supremacy (I forget specifically which variant) waterblocks,
    Independent cooling loops for CPU and GPUs,
    3x EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti SC+,
    3x EK-FC Titan X waterblocks,
    512GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD (boot/OS - possibly adding a second in future on a PCIe to M.2 adapter)
    12x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (software RAID-0 - scratch/games),
    LSI SAS 9211-8i HBA,
    Corsair fans used throughout,
    LG BD-RE drive.

The CPUs are cooled through a Black Ice GTX 360mm rad with push-pull fans.
    The GPUs are going to be cooled through a pair of 240mm rads.

XSPC non-conductive coolant used in both loops.
    XSPC 1/2" ID compression fittings,
    XSPC 1/2" ID hose,
    XSPC dual pump bay res,
    2x Laing DDC pumps (high performance/high flow models - I forget precisely which one)

OS is Windows 10 Pro x64

I hope that suffices for now until I get my full build thread together...

I'm also contemplating a new 10GbE NIC, but haven't made up my mind which one yet. Potentially the Intel X540-T2.

12. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Enjoying the last few days and learning the folding lark. It's toasty business but my cooling is doing a good job keeping the temp regulated evenly. I am feeling warm though because of where my PC is and blasting warm air towards me. I think Winter is more ideal than Summer. I'll have to rethink what to do.

@suggestable, 980Ti are great cards and I am glad to have them. If the 1080Ti is phenomenal, I may be tempted.

@Scorpuk - I am beginning to see why not folding on CPU if folding on GPU. I think I may follow suit.

13. DocJonz

@suggestable - That's an absolute monster machine :rock:

14. DocJonz

@Broadwater06 - Folding on CPU's used to be the only option.
    The early days of Folding on GPU's would have given PPD's comparable to todays high-end desktop CPU's (a GTX 260, for example, would have netted you around 12k PPD).
    However, the Folding performance of GPU's has accelerated to massively out-perform CPU's - I have a 48 core machine that could net around 100k PPD (more when the Big Advantage project was running, but that's another story ...), whereas my GTX 980 Ti gets about 600k PPD, and the GTX 1080 numbers reported look higher again.
    Therefore, for Folding today, it is much more effective to build a standard PC, but with several GPU's, and leave the CPU to feed the GPU's (as each GPU needs one CPU core for Folding).

15. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

@suggestable. :jawdrop:

Put your sepcs, roughly, into a PSU calc and came up with 1700W. Guessed some stuff, so could be more or less.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

For that amount of water cooling I would maybe go with a MO-RA3. Its what I used when cooling my 64 core server when it was folding 24/7. Temps never above 30°C, even in the height of summer. Even went minus when it was idling in winter. :brrr:

FYI:

I've had 2 x Titan Blacks and CPU cooled via 1 x 480mm rad and the loop temp was ~40°C with ambient temp ~26°C. It'll get hot in the room ya have that computer in. :eyebrow: That's with GPU folding, CPU not.

16. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

@DocJonz

Thanks for the explanation. Shall I remove '0 cpu' from the list of the 'Configure client folding slots' then?

17. suggestable

Thanks, @Scorpuk @DocJonz

It should be rather epic when complete.

I'm also contemplating switching from 500GB SSDs to 1TB or maybe 2TB drives, for enhanced data density.

Any data stored on those disks is fair game for disk failure (as anything "important" is replicated to my server, which has ~100TB across two RAID-6 LUNs), so RAID-0 will be fine.

By my (rough) calculations, I should get around 7GB/s throughput from the array if it's operating at peak performance, with load fairly evenly distributed across all disks. The motherboard only has 10 SATA 6Gbps ports, so I'm having to add a 6Gbps SAS HBA to increase the port count. By utilising ~4 ports (and no more) on the LSISAS2008-based HBA, I should be able to maximise the throughput on the bus (as it's apparently capped at around 3GB/s).

I'd rather not use a monster radiator on the build, as I'd prefer to keep everything nice and neat, and all in one box (the 900D is already a massive case). The 360mm Black Ice radiator has served me well for the last ~5 years (last used in my SR-2 build with 2x E5645), so I have no worries there. The three GPUs should be sufficiently cooled by the pair of 240mm rads in the bottom of the case(also with push-pull Corsair SP120 PWM fans), so I have no concerns there either.

I've had the three 980Ti cards modified to remove their DVI ports. This, combined with a bit of dremelling on the card's slot bracket, means that the cards are single slot. This frees up the two otherwise-obscured slots on the board for low-profile cards (with full-height brackets fitted), and means I can install the 2x10Gb NIC in one slot and an additional NVMe SSD in the other slot. The SAS HBA is installed in the very top slot, for optimum cooling of its heatsink as it'll be given space to breathe up there.

I'll be illuminating the case with a quartet of UV CCFLs, as the liquid I'm using is UV-reactive. This should provide a pleasing glow :). The CPUs are using blue UV liquid, and the GPUs are using green UV liquid. I had previously intended to use AMD cards (as I had in my last build), so had some UV red liquid also available, but that's never going to get used now...

This build (when complete) is intended to last me a good few years. It's being hooked up to two Dell 24" IPS 4K monitors, and I'm using a Corsair RGB MX Silent keyboard and Corsair RGB mouse (I forget exactly which model).

My server build has taken priority over the last few months, but now that that's almost complete, I'll have more time to work on the workstation of doom.

Thanks for the positive vibes so far. :)

18. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

I removed the 'cpu 0' from the slots and now both of my GPUs are folding.

19. DocJonz

Should also save on your electricity bill ... well, a little bit :)

Last edited: 9 Jul 2016
  20. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

True there. A small consolation is better than nothing. I find also I can carry on using my PC better (I'm currently folding) rather than all 3 of them folding.