1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning What's the hole spacing on cable combs?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KayinBlack, 4 Aug 2016.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I just picked up a Z87i Deluxe for my itx box, and in looking at cabling the system I saw that the 24 pin and the 8 pin are right beside each other next to the memory. This means that my combs could go right across with no issue. My question is, what is the hole spacing on them for those of you who have made them yourselves? As I want a bunch of them, the only cost effective way to do it is to do it myself. I know the hole size is 4mm, but on what centers?

It feels good to finally be back to work on a project again. I just hope my health lets me finish. I have all my hardware now, all I have to do is get it put together right.

2. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I not sure there is a standard spacing, unless you are matching the ATX plug pin spacing, 0.165" (4.191 mm) on centre. It will depend on if you have individually sleeved cables or not and if you want the wires tight together or with a little space.

Since you mentioned that the holes are ⌀ 4 mm, I would assume you are using individually sleeved wires (typical sleeves are ⌀ 3 mm for #18 AWG wire). That said I would not try to drill a ⌀ 4 mm hole with 4.191 mm on centre spacing. You'll want to experiment a little. I will point you to an earlier thread: Home-made cable combs Thread

I only mucked around with custom combs since all the commercial ones I found assumed that your cables were individually sleeved, and mine weren't, otherwise I'd have just bought my combs.

3. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

They are 4.2mm Molex Mini-fit Jr. . You can find specs, drawings and 3D models on molex site.