1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Datsuzoku: An Update!!! August 26, 2016

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 4 Apr 2011.

1. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

It has been a couple years but I am proud to be back with a new project named "Datsuzoku."

Borrowed from Bonsaibeautiful.com Datsuzoku means "Surprise is the immediate effect of an expression involving Datsuzoku. It involves a transcendence of conventional ideas and traditional usage. One should be astonished in its presence and realize a freedom from restrictive laws or any kind of bondage in its use. It may be the seed-bed of ultimate creativity."

This case builds on the motifs of Chiaroscuro while being much more practical. It is based around three of Silverstone's Air Penetrator fans which suck air through the bottom of the case and push it through the top. The case also utilizes a 90 degree rotated motherboard position to clean up the appearance of the case and make airflow more efficient.

Without further delay, here are some renders of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me explain a little bit. The main case material is Curly Maple. The other materials involved will be UV Acrylic, Curly Maple veneer and brushed black aluminum. The section that is missing in some of the renders slides up to get to the innards of the case and the motherboard tray will be uv acrylic and you will be able to see through it to the other side of the case. I will explain more about all of these parts when the time comes.

The next step (actually i did this before the renders but these pictures aren't as nice) was to make a mock up of some of the main case components:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As usual, the joinery of the wood will be one of the main challenges and fun parts of the case which I will get into in the next installment. First though is an MDF mockup of what the joint will look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would also like to thank my sponsor for this project, Silverstone, for providing fans for the project along with some other goodies that I will get to later:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Aug 2016
    Chairboy, Boddaker and Marcos_Viegas like this.
  2. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wow nice to see you back man, I definitely watching this!!!

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed subbed <3

WB Nick!

Let me know if you need help or a sponsor, I'll see what I can do here :) Please don't use that old DFI board >_<

4. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Man Nick, talk about having connections. You don't even have to ask and Bindi will find you sponsors :hehe:

Can't wait to see this underway man!

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

CAN'T!

WAIT!

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nick is one of the most skilled modders in the history of the scene. The man has won two Mod of the Year compos in a row! He deserves it! :lol:

*Business hat on* I know the traffic his articles drive too ;)

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Good to see you back! I see you brought you wicked joinery too. I will be about half of the traffic Bindi refers to. -Gotta check every 30 minutes.:naughty:

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

YES YES YES YES YESSS

Welcome back oh master of wood.

9. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Hey Nick, good to see you back. :)

10. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was originally going to try to bust this out for MOTY last year but I didnt want to force it. I was going to bust it out for the Cooler Master contest going on now but I still don't want to force it so this case will definitely take some time but I have decided that I like it enough to do so.

I am also juggling a few other shop projects so this wont be the fastest case ever but I am getting a new table saw this week which should help things along.

Thanks again for your support and I promise to make updates fairly regular.

@Bindi: I'll be sending you an email/PM shortly :naughty:

11. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Haha:D And just as i tought my F5 key would get a break :hehe:

12. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Oh wow :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

13. Nitrixflare

Nitrixflare Building and engineering enthusiast

definitely a piece of modern art! I'd love to watch this one! :D

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Nick is back. spring in some hemispheres. Life is looking up!

I watch.

John

15. Anubus

Anubus Minimodder

Oh man.
    Im excited for another amazing mod including wood!
    This will be amazing :D

16. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Cool project :thumb:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D It's good to take a look at whats new now & again :rock::hehe::thumb: looks interesting :).

MOTY winner twice in a row & 1 rep bar what the flip :lol: very cool :thumb:.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2011
  18. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

This.

Great to see you back, your mods were one of the things that got me hooked on these forums in the first place.

19. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

Subbed! Loving the simple elegance of your builds, and the amazing woodwork doesn't hurt either :D

20. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

ummm, well, I step in here and see everyone already banging this poor guy. Looks like his creations got famous before I peeked in here. When Bindi get's an 1/4 of an orgasm, and says that he will get you sponsors, well, I'm also subbed :thumb: