1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Roccat launches Kone Pure Optical mouse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'd love to know why they think lasers help.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eh? The Roccat Kone Pure Optical doesn't use lasers; the entire point is that it uses an LED-based optical sensor instead. The Roccat Kone Pure uses a laser, as the article makes abundantly clear.

As for why lasers help (or hinder): a laser-based light source on an optical sensor allows for much finer-grained accuracy. Just look at the figures: the Roccat Kone Pure Optical, with its LED-based light source, tops out at 4,000dpi; the Roccat Kone Pure, which uses a laser-based light source, hits 8,200dpi. That's more than double the resolution.

Some don't like the 'feel' of a laser-based sensor, however, and would prefer the old-style LED light source. It's for these that Roccat has built the Kone Pure Optical.

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Sure, absolutely, the question was more "why does it ever make a difference". I appreciate they have larger resolution figures, but it isn't clear to me why that's necessarily associated with the character of the illumination. Modern optical mice frequently use something like a 4x4 or 8x8 pixel "camera" looking down at the surface on which the mouse is running. I suppose you could take the position that the finer light source of a diode laser casts sharper shadows from the details on the desktop but the resolution of the thing is ordinarily more down to the detector than the emitter.

After all, a diode laser pretty much is an LED, just one about the size of a bacterium.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The reason the DPI is greater with LASER mice is because of the rectilinear quality of a LASER beam compared to the highly divergent nature of all other types of light sources, including non LASER LEDs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Jul 2013
  6. Xir

Xir Modder

Back to the roots.

Next year, a direct-kinetic-driven mouse for those hardcore gamers out there...you know, with a rubber ball in it ;-)

7. lankymorley

lankymorley What's a Dremel?

As a low sensitivity gamer, I've never been satisfied with the tracking of a mouse with a laser sensor. Optical all the way!

8. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Voice command is the way to go:

"Left a bit, right a bit - Fire!".