1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Redirecting a web page

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by SeT, 25 Jun 2010.

1. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

I've been searching the majority of the morning and haven't been able to come up with a way to do this. Does anyone know if it is possible to redirect a sub URL of a web page. What I mean is, say someone on my computer goes to espn.com. Fine. I don't mind that. But what if they go to. espn.com/blahblah. I want to redirect that to another page. Either locally stored or online doesn't matter, it only needs to happen on one computer. Is this possible?

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

SeT likes this.
  3. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

looks more complicated than I was thinking but that should do the trick. Thanks!

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

5. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

This is what you're after:

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.site.com">

Alternatively, you can set it in your host's cpanel.

thehippoz likes this.
  6. notatoad

i think you guys might have misunderstood the question. those will redirect the page for everybody and require you to have admin access to the site in question. i think the OP is just trying to block a site on his computer.

7. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

wouldn't you do something like what SeT wants in the hosts file?

8. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Ah, yeah i don't think he actually owns the sites he want to redirect.

I *think* you can do it in the hosts files, i do use windows any more and i can't remember what the hosts files config is but it's something like:

site.com 127.0.0.1

9. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

The hosts file will not work. It would work if I wanted to completely block the entire domain site.com but I want to be able to access site.com, just not site.com/url. Also, I do not own the site in question so the html redirect will not work.

Having some trouble with Privoxy, it worked to redirect once but hasn't worked since.

10. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Can you add the / in the host file?

site.com/suburl 127.0.0.1

11. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

no. the hosts file doesn't recognize the /. It does entire domain or nothing at all.

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

there's a thing called content advisor in IE.. under the content tab in options

enable that and add the url

you'll have to approve all the sites and enter a password once.. but after that you should have that page blocked.. make sure you pick view website always instead of view webpage on the password part

13. notatoad

mac and linux both have hosts files too, they are located at /etc/hosts and the syntax is the same as the windows hosts file.

14. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

I considered content adviser in IE but I want to redirect, not block. the password kinda ruins it too.

Basically, it's a prank(sorta, I'm not going into all the details here). I've got a site created that I want to redirect someone to if they go to certain specific URL. I don't want to redirect all of espn.com but I do want to redirect espn.com/blah or myspace.com/blah or facebook.com/blah... Content Adviser and Hosts file are both all or nothing. Privoxy looks like the best option so far but the rule still only works once after it has been created.

Edit: I take that back, Content Adviser actually will block the specific url that I want and not the whole of the site but the password still ruins it and I want a redirect, not block...