1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics I have an idea...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by asura, 28 Nov 2014.

1. asura

asura jack of all trades

...which is always dangerous. Everything will get finished eventually; roboduck's 3D Cintiq is on hold as my CAAD work has diminished to one project a year or less, other "side projects" which I haven't bothered to post as they're either a)mostly stalled, b)completely stalled, or c)un-interesting to bit-techers (I imagine) are sitting on desks, the floor, my bed, tables, and chairs. And my workshop leeks!

Any-hoo... my current plan (hurry up and finish something![I've finished loads!{oh shut-up both of you!}])* is for a little audio stack; ODAC, O2 amplifier, SSMH amplifler - Bottom, middle, and top. Whist the three units are "discrete" they're going to be interconnected** and for the most part I can figure out what goes where for switching etcetera. However...

When powered off I'd like to have a set of three staggered pulsing led's firing in order 1. ODAC, 2. O2, 3. SSMH. That is to say; 1. fade in red LED, fade out red LED, 2. fade in orange LED, fade out orange LED, 3. fade in yellow LED, fade out yellow LED, rinse and repeat.

The fading bit looks simple enough; a 555, a transistor, a resistor+capacitor for charging and a LED+resister for load. And a cycling circuit using a 4017 looks simple enough for 10 outputs, and I guess I could just go for:-
    0 - red
    1 - orange
    2 - yellow
    3 - red
    4 - orange
    5 - yellow
    6 - red
    7 - orange
    8 - yellow
    9 - pause
    Bridging outputs 0,3&6, 1,4&7, and 2,5&8 to three fader circuits, or a single fader circuit in-front of the 4017 which would work (best)? Unless anyone knows of a straight forward way to go for one two three, one two three, one two three, without the pause, etcetera? It would be best without the pause, but I can live with it. Or does the 4017 skip un-loaded outputs, in which case that's one problem solved, I really am this electronically naive I'm afraid.

To make things even more complex*** this pulsing is for when the stack is off... when any given module is on, it's pulse (only) should stop and a different (power on) LED should go on, without interrupting the pulse cycle from the other modules. At any given time there will be 0, 1, or 2, of the three modules switched on; 0 - well, they're all off, 1 - either of the amplifiers getting an external input (Sansa Clip+, Ipod, etcetera), 2 - the ODAC and an amplifier, O2 for classical/vocal/jazz/etcetera, SSMH for industrial/blues/grunge/etcetera. I suppose all three could be on at once for fancy photos, but I'd have to clean my desk for that first, so...

I have absolutely no idea how to do the latter**** with either discrete-IC/passive components, or something like an arduino (mini). So any and all advice would be welcome. My current thought is an arduino or similar might be needed, unless anyone's a wizzzard with logic circuits?

And finally, I'm sorry for the length and format of this post, it's just how I think.

*Sometimes you just need a forth bracket!
    **PC -> ODAC -> O2/SSMH : Sansa Clip+/Ipod -> O2/SSMH
    ***I know, right‽
    ****That's the interrupt(?) not tidying my desk, I know how to do that, it's just a matter of finding a time do do it and a place for all the stuff that lives there at the moment...

2. asura

asura jack of all trades

If a continuously-moving less-than-ten-LED display is wanted it can be obtained by wiring the first unused output terminal of the 4017B to its pin15 RESET terminal […] so that's one problem solved, just need to connect pin3 to pin15.

Further development. I can use a DPST switch with a 4049 to invert the signal for the pulse circuit - so it currently works like this:

A 555 too three 4017s (one in each module) the first with pin1->pin15, the second with pin2->pin15 and pin0->ground, the third with pin3->pin15 and pins0+1->ground

The 4014s... b####r! The switch just acts as a blocker and the LED's just always on... I'll be right back (after this short commercial break)...

Okay! The DPST (of each module) goes through its own 4049 to invert the signal, this goes to the V+ of a 4017 (still one per module) pinned out as per above. All three circuits get their clock from a common 555 probably in the ODAC module as there's more space there and finally the 4017s output to a 555 LED pulse circuit.

So that'll be a 5V, a 0V and a clock. With much tweaking of capacitor and resistor values (probably just use trims to adjust) to make sure there's no clipping or gapping.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2014
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

We are here, just confused at text wall tech-speak.
    I could use a few drawings for explanation, preferably in crayon.

4. asura

asura jack of all trades

'tis aright, I think I've got it figured out, and have all the bits I need on a (growing) Farnell order. But nothing more'll happen till the new year - at the earliest - as I'm a little busy at the moment.

In all honesty my personal filing system is so crap I figured putting my thought process up here would simply provide me with some sort of route to follow through when I get back to playing about with this sort of thing again.

5. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Video for us simpletons when completed please.