1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows HELP! PC is freezing on boot up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Meaty Pete, 28 Apr 2012.

1. Meaty Pete

Meaty Pete King of the Potato People

My PC it boots in about 10 seconds to desktop which is great but after about 30 seconds to a minute it will freeze for a minute or two.

Not the end of the world but it is driving me mad and obviously I have the SSD for quick boot times mainly.

Seriously doing my head in now.

I have looked in event log thing but don't really know what I'm looking for and can't note the exact time of freeze as the clock won't appear when froze.

Anyone have any ideas?

In the system tray I have Avira, Dropbox, Asus ROG suite (or whatever its called), mediabrowser etc. Might be some clues as to why?

:wallbash:

EDIT: I should add that when froze NOTHING responds but when it 'unfreezes' everything works fine

2. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

Things I would try:

Startup in safe mode and if it's faster then you know it's more than likely a driver/software problem.

Turn off the majority of your startup programs then start one at a time and see if that increases your startup time.

Run /sfc scannow in the command prompt, this will check the system files to make sure that they aren't faulty.

Install Kingsoft PC Doctor, this will clean your HDD and could increase your startup time, and it's free.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Also is your SATA controller for your SSD on AHCI mode? You want it on AHCI. If it was on IDE.. than not you were not using the full performance of your SSD, but also had no TRIM support, which degrades SSD performance, I think permanently.

4. Meaty Pete

Meaty Pete King of the Potato People

Yeah SATA is in AHCI mode. The only thing on the SSD is the OS.

Ill try the command prompt and also turning the programs off one at a time.

Its not a speed issue I am getting cos it is perfectly quick and responsive when it boots to desktop, just totally freezes after about 30 seconds for about a minute and then is perfectly quick again.

I suspect one program is checking with its online server and my PC is hanging on the response. Maybe. Frankly dunno

Headscratcher

Anyone give me a bit of advice on the win7 event log and what half of it means??

5. bleeper

bleeper What's a Dremel?

Some people say this is bad advice but I've always found it easier to reinstall Windows fresh with the latest drivers to eliminate all issues with software & registry. Less than 1 hour tops compared to hours of searching through logs.

If after doing this the problem persists, you know it needs investigating.

6. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Also make sure those crucial drives are running firware 0309 or better, any other version has a 5000 hour bug that causes BSOD's and other problems.

7. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

Why it's bad advice in my opinion is you may transfer the same problem to your new install, while if you can find the fault now then you know not to include it during the re-install, if it's a program or driver issue.