1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Advise - Loop advise SR2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BennieboyUK, 24 Jan 2012.

1. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Hi Guys,

After some watercooling advise. I have "some" exp' of building a loop, but things would have changed some what since 2008 when I last did my Q6600...

I am looking to cool CPU and Motherboard on my SR2 rig (detials in sig).

my two main questions are around, Rad's and blocks. I think I am set on res and pumps (although open to comment)

I am looking to put a push/pull full depth 360 rad with Gentle 'phoons for the CPUs and motherboard block. CPUs will be OC'd and have TDP of 80w's each. http://ark.intel.com/products/47925...E5620-(12M-Cache-2_40-GHz-5_86-GTs-Intel-QPI) Current stable OC is 3.5ghz, with NO changes to QPI or Volts :rock: I am aiming at 4ghz OC.

Can anyone advise on a decent rad, is this big enough?

second question is cpu blocks, I have been looking at the new EX-LTX blocks, but I am worried about the flow rate over the whole loop, is the extra for thr HFX really worth it? I dont know if the block for the motherboard is HF or not? Can anyone advise. If it isnt does HF really matter?

Below is a list of the parts I am considering:

EK Water Blocks EK-CoolStream RAD XTX 360
    x2 EK Water Blocks EK-Supreme LTX - Acetal+EN (Nickel)
    12V Alphacool Laing D5 Fixed Pump TPP644 - T12
    EK Water Blocks EK-Multioption RES X2 - 400 Basi
    EK Water Blocks EK-FB SR2 - Acetal + Nickel
    + all the bits and bobs.

Any advise would be awesome :thumb:

Thanks
    Bennie

2. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I would read the thread at http://www.overclock.net/t/1080144/ek-supreme-ltx-any-good before deciding on the EK-LTX. It looks like the HF will perform better, and has better flow.

With a D5 pump feeding just the CPU and motherboard blocks, flow shouldn't be a big problem. On my SR-X build, I will have the CPUs in parallel, so they get equal cooling at higher overclocks. I'll be using a 480 BlackIce SR1 in push/pull as well. At modest clocks a 360 is probably OK as long as you don't add the gpu into the same loop.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

LT/LTX vs HF performance has a lot more to do with the pump. They are not any worse than each other if you have the appropriate pump. LT/LTX are just less 'open' and more restrictive than High-Flow block. It's like a trade off, spend more money on HF blocks, or a little more money on a stronger pump.

Looks like you plan on doing both CPUs and chipset blocks, so you defineatly need some more planning that I am really used to. You doing gpu under water as well? Such things are important in getting ready and picking parts.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Since there will be a few blocks in the loop, I'd go for the less restrictive cpu blocks, performance will be very similar between them.
    I'd also be tempted to get a nice thick rad like the XSPC RX series, one of the best performing rads available.
    And you can't really go wrong with the GTs (apart from spending far too much money on fans :p)