1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Strange Raid and Memory challenge!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BennieboyUK, 16 Jun 2015.

1. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Hey Guys,

Changed a few bits around on my PC's this weekend and I have come across an memory issue, wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light.

Components

1200watt PSU - branded (forget which)
    MSI Gaming 5 z97 - New
    16gb (2x8) Corsair Memory 1600mhz - New
    i7 4970k - taken from my other rig
    Quad Port Intel PCI-Ex4 Network Card
    OCZ PCI-Ex4 240gb SSD
    Intel 520 240gb SSD
    Intel RS25DB080 (PCI-E X8)- Raid Controller (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/servers/raid/raid-controller-rs25db080.html)

Note; all of the above are on the latest BIOS and Firmware
    Note; no Overclocking (or intention)

So basically, the Motherboard tells me to use slots 2 and 4 for the memory. When I do this as a bare boot build, BINGO everything is fine, boots up etc. Completes all stability tests

When I plug in the INTEL RAID CARD - The machine wont boot to POST. showing a 55 error code on the diag LED's on the board, which translates to error detecting the memory.

If I add everything BUT the RAID card, boots as per bare boot build mentioned above.

I have tried the RAID card in each of the PCI-E slots, I have even forced the mobo to boot as x8x4x4 to ensure it was detecting the correct speed.

Now... here is the odd part;

If configure with FULL build, but only one slot of memory, in slot 1 on the board, it boots perfectly.

So that made me think it was a dual channel issue...

But if I configure slots 1 and 3, it also boots (and is perfectly stable that I can tell) with the full 16gb of ram, dual channel working fine.

So it would seem that all the individual parts are "working as expected" but when I configure them as per recommended process, IE slots 2&4 it fails to boot.

To be honest, I am quite happy with slots 1/3 working and by all accounts its only there to stop the HSF fouling the first memory slot, but I dont have this issue, BUT i'd love to solve the challenge - ANYONE!!?

B

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It's to do with one of the pins on the pci-e slot that links to the memory channels.
    I had a similar issue with a Perc card & an X58 board. When I connected it I lost a whole memory channel.

I got round it by putting a bit of tape (a really thin bit) over the 4th or 5th pin on the RAID card and it all worked

3. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Duck tape! Of Course why didn't I think of that!!! :wallbash: :D:D:D

I am going to try this as soon as I get home!

Watch this space, +1 Saspro

4. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

Good to know, I've been looking for a card for my p6t which has already lost a memory channel, likely to the bent pins on the socket.

5. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

One of my x58 computers has lost a memory channel, I assumed it was because it was old and is running a custom BIOS to unlock SLI - but I just realised I have a PERC controller in there and I haven't taped off that pin. Will look into this, thanks saspro

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

7. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

Just thought I would post an updat in case it helps anyone else - a dell perc h310 definitely takes out the second memory channel on my x58 motherboard. Given that I am not running RAID on that of now I simply took it out and used the onboard controller.