1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Deus Ex (now I've done it)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Xir, 28 Dec 2009.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Couldn't resist the Steam sale and (finally) bought Deus Ex.
    (and yes, I blame you Joe Martin) :D
    http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/04/20/30-pc-games-to-play-before-you-die/1

After having somehow missed this one in the nineties, I'm happy to see it even scales to 1280x1024*, not bad.

SO, i'm through with the tutorial, slowly getting used to the half-life1 style graphics and about to begin.
    Any tipps? necessary do's and dont's? Or just start away and see what mess I'll bring myself into?

Best Regards,

Xir

*on an ATI9600, on the X1800xt it won't go over 1024x768...strange

Last edited: 28 Dec 2009
  2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

stealth.

3. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

don't piss off the robots :lol:

Welcome to the club btw :thumb:

Last edited: 28 Dec 2009
  4. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

+1, hide from the robots.

Get Microfibral Muscle instead of Combat Strength, the sword you get later in the game negates Combat Strength (by being kick-arse).
    Can't think of anything else, haven't played it for 6 months.

Also, you might want to turn off any mouse software you have, some of it can go a bit awry within Deus Ex.

5. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

it's the unreal engine so theoretically you should be able to bump the resolution in the ini file quite easily

7. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Yep. Google "widescreen Deus Ex" and you'll find the info you need to set the resolution.

It is possible to play the game largely with just the mini-crossbow, but that's hardcore and requires uber-stealth. Robots are to be avoided if practical. Choose your augs carefully and your skills. Trying to retain a broad skillset can work but I find it's usually more helpful to specialize a little bit. That way you can be awesome at lockpicking or electronics or pistols or whatever and depending on the situations you find yourself in, that can be very useful ;)

Oh, and most of all - enjoy. It's an absolute classic.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Thanks for your advice.
    I'd already found the .ini file settings, but as i hadn't played yet on the second rig...there were no
    "FullscreenViewport" settings in the file yet.
    D'oh! :D

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the pistol is your best friend, the machinegun is useless, so is the shotgun, get a sniper and the crossbow, the gep gun and the run fast and jump high aug can get you out of a tight squeeze, get the anti missile aug that kills enemy rockets... if you want paul denton to survive get out of the hotel using the front door... avoid robots and keep the kick ass sword!!!

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I highly recommend the Skul-Gun, it will be adequate.

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Noooooo............must.......resist .......urge.........to.......install.

12. Dannythemusicman

Dannythemusicman What's a Dremel?

Damn you i saw this and went looking for my Deus Ex disc...only to find it is no longer in it's case... :jawdrop:

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Best tip: Enjoy the game. They don't make them like this anymore.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

:grr: my wife's been home before me this week (she works shifts) so i got to spend 0 hours an gaming since last week.
    ...must...play!

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Advice for someone just starting the game: Give it some time. The first level can be very overwhelming and there's a lot of hidden content, extra paths and stuff you'll miss out on. You'll find it hard at first, but try to avoid straight out gun fights and don't be afraid to try different things and explore everywhere. Try breaking Gunther out, or not, for example. And killing the guard or hostage at the top of the statue.

Biggest tip: When you see Paul at the start of the game and he offers you a weapon, take the mini-crossbow.

If you find the combat especially difficult then be sure to use the Pepper Spray and Riot Prod together for easy, non-lethal takedowns. At range, put a tranq. dart into someone with the minicrossbow and then just wait for them to pass out. The easiest weapons to use are the mini-crossbow and stealth pistol.

Really, just enjoy the game and be sure to EXPLORE EVERYTHING. Don't use cheats. Make sure you find out what's on the other side of every locked door and talk to everyone about everything.

16. Jimbob94

Jimbob94 What's a Dremel?

Thinking of getting it, don't have Steam:( how much of play.com? value?

17. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I really, really, really wish you hadnt mentioned this! I havent played it in a while, but I am now just itching to bust it out of its jewel case again....

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Hacking, good lord get it skilled up!

First time around playing the game I didn't have the skills to hack the sword and didn't have enough multi-tools, I ran half way back through the game trying to find a damned multi-tool. Got too angry and uninstalled it. Didn't play it for another 3 years I think after that :D

19. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Try to skill up your sniper weapon skill to master as soon as you can, dont bother training up other weapon skills until you've done this, you can shoot cameras and blow doors of hinges with it. VERY useful. Take the GEP gun at the beginning since you can find the other two easpons offered (sniper rifle, mini crossbow) on the first level. Always explore, the map before commiting (you'd be suprised how many hidden goodies are out there). Be stealthy, go for a silent take down as much as you can, the riot prod will be your friend here. Aside from that, have fun!

20. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Don't play it like a standard FPS, you won't last 5 minutes.

The first time I played it I threatened to uninstall it and smash the disc at least twice until I "got it" and realised that it is truly one of the greatest games ever. Personally I don't think any other game since has reached the heights that this game scaled, sure the AI was pretty dumb in places and the way the inventory works is infuriating but whilst these issues could be game killers in a lesser title the joys of the way the game plays means I can dismiss them as insignificant - thats how good I think this game is.