1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Blue Screens

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Arboreal, 20 Mar 2017.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

My work PC that was fine last Friday (E8400/Q38/Win 7 32 Pro) has been blue screening following a white screen with horizontal coloured lines about every 10 minutes today...

IIRC BSOD can be memory problems, but a quick look online (between crashes...) didn't help.
    Any thoughts or advice please??

I was looking on ebay yesterday for a newer PC, so maybe it got wind of that and decided to play up :eeek:

2. Arboreal

Sorted...

Very odd, I am always nervous when problems disappear without having found a conclusive cause :wallbash:.
    I brought a spare graphics card with me to work and fitted that this morning, not sure what went on, but the PC wouldn't boot and gave out a very unhappy string of BIOS beeps.

I re seated the 2 sticks of RAM and switched back to the old graphics card, and it has been running solidly for 90mins so far...

Interestingly, my daughter said that the family PC had a BSOD yesterday afternoon, but has been fine since.
    Strange indeed

3. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Yes, many BSOD are caused by memory crashes. The fact that you have two different PC's affected to a greater or lesser extent might point to a mains power supply drop or spike. One PC might be more prone to freezing when this happens.

It could be affected by a combination of the mains in your area, the PSU's, motherboards, among other things.

4. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

BSODs are commonly due to driver issues, but can be due to hardware (particularly RAM) - or sometimes even hardware getting hot.

MemTest86+ will tell you if RAM is a problem.... leave it running on a loop overnight.

Did the problem start around the time of driver updates or windows updates?

I've never heard of hardware infidelity being a cause, but if you have been perving at other PCs on ebay, you might just to accept you've been rumbled and take your punishment.

5. Arboreal

LOL. Caught out! Jealousy is alive & well in the hardware sector :lol:

It was fine when I left work on Friday, no updates that late in the week, and it was cranky from the start yesterday...Monday Morning Syndrome?

I'll run a MemTest86+ and see if it falls over again.