1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just popping my head in & hit my 1B milestone :)

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 2 May 2017.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Hey Guys, hope everyone is doing OK, not been on here for quite some time now, how life changes when you have a little one come along ay :)

I've only had a GTX970 and an 16-thread Linux box running in the background for the last 18 months but have just hit my 1 billion point milestone which feels good :rock:

Just been looking at the stats and I've dropped from the team rank of 3rd overall to 8th currently and can see a few of you are soon going to be overtaking me lol, just seen the amount of PPD people are putting out these days, WOW fair play to you all, PPD I can only dream of these days! :waah:

I might put my current 980Ti into use for a while as im about to press the go button on a 1080Ti for my gaming machine.

I assume GPU is where its at these days with high PPD outputs, I assume no new BIGADV type projects on multi-processor/core rigs these days?

What would people say the best PPD per £ GPU's are these days?

Cheers All,
    Rob. :thumb::thumb:

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hey Coolamasta! Massive congrats!

I've think I remember seeing 1070/1080 being king tho that could have changed with 1080ti and titans being released. Seems the info is getting harder to find :(

coolamasta likes this.
  3. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Congrats :thumb: :clap:

For PPD, multi-socket CPU's don't cut it these days when compared with GPU's, and there is no new bigadv WU's (and I don't think there will be any).
    A GTX 1070 would net you around 600-700k PPD - even on a multi-socket CPU rig with bigadv you couldn't achieve anywhere near that!

coolamasta likes this.
  4. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I see you left me in your dust many moons ago!!! Many congrats on the 1 bil milestone Rob :thumb:

coolamasta likes this.
  5. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Thanks All, the 1B milestone was my ultimate goal years ago and finally got there, I will leave the 970 and the 16-thread going at it for now, may get some cash to get a couple decent dedicated GPU's in the future though :)

I have just treated my gaming rig to a 1080Ti which does over a million PPD the half day I ran it but as its the founders edition with stock cooler it got very hot as I have a small mATX case so airflow not great.

Cheers for the info Doc and big congrats to you for being No #1, very impressive PPD, what kit you running these days?

Keep up the good work all :thumb:

6. DocJonz

I'm currently running GPU's only (I turned off my 48-core Opteron Folding rig in August last year, which was a shame, but I don't miss the noise or cost of electricity on that one! Know anyone who wants such a machine ....?!).
    So, on the go at the moment; 4x GTX 970, 2x GTX 980Ti, 4x GTX1070, 2x GTX 1080.

coolamasta likes this.
  7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I would love to see pictures of the beast! What processors where you using in it?

8. houch

houch Minimodder

how much?

9. DocJonz

That was May. Currently only have 6x GTX 1070's and 2x GTX 1080's Folding - had to reduce electricity bills ... well, at least a bit ... :hehe: