1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News FSP, Bitspower announce liquid-cooled Hydro PTM+ PSU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 May 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Yeah because we're all sitting here, cursing our overheating power supplies that only provide a measly 1.2kw....

Honestly, what the hell is the point? I mean whats next - A watercooled monitor for monitors that can be "overclocked for extra Hz!"? Full cover keyboard waterblocks? LN2 pots for USB flash drives??

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If you want to put the rad outside the case and completely seal the inside, the PSU is probably one of the few sources of heat you otherwise could not WC.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Up to 600w it remains completely and totally silent, that's the point.

Yes it's going to be expensive but I would much rather water cool my PSU than my memory, for example.

I like it :)

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I don't know much about electronics but liquid cooled power supplies just conjoure up the image of flying a kite by an overhead power cable to me.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

When was the last time you sat at your PC screaming at a noisy PSU?! I literally cannot remember owning anything other than a silent unit... At least, not anything that was audible over a pump, fans or ambient background noise.

Heck, we all sing praises of mechanical keyboards nowadays, and they make more racket than any PSU could muster!

7. Vault-Tec

I think it's more just the idea that cool electronics are far happier and will last far longer when they are cooled with water. This is why a lot of data centres are switching to water cooling.

Yeah, a PSU is not the noisiest thing in a rig. However, it still produces heat and quite a lot at that.

I don't want my rig quiet when I am typing, just when I am gaming/watching films etc.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm not sure they can claim to be first - in fact I'm pretty sure there have already been water cooled PSUs sold before, to a very muted reception. Can't think of the manufacturer though - I shall have to google it.

9. Vault-Tec

There are water cooled PSUs from a while back. So it's definitely not a new idea.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I know Koolance did one, although I'd hardly call it mass produced. There was another company... gah! can't remember!

11. Vault-Tec

12. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

So it doesn't spin up until 600w of load is placed on the unit, which is 50% of the 1200w unit. Aren't we all familiar with zero RPM modes until that region on most modern day PSUs anyway...?

Also, as said already, the PSU is one of the coolest components in the rig provided it isn't running at 80% of its output for its entire life.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It does seem rather pointless as the only thing adding WC seems to get you is an extra 200w, unless I've miss-read silent mode stays at 600w regardless of it being on water or air.

14. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Surely reducing its size would be the least they could do see as they dont need all that ait now. Would like to see a smaller than sfx unit watercooled. Now that would be interesting and open up a lot of options.

15. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

This fits the bill nicely. I've always wanted a greater mix of water and mains voltage electricity in the house and this certainly seems a tiny bit safer than my current approach of using my hair dryer while I shower (Multitask people! It saves so much time!)

Hmmm... I'm not sure if this PSU will be enough though. They've probably put in some well placed drain holes or little packets of desiccant to drain or soak up leaks... I may not get the H2O / 240v mix I'm looking for. Damn.

Anyone know the best way to take a high voltage line from my microwave transformer and hook it into the cold water supply on the other side of the room?

Yes I know... don't say it... It's not without dangers, I'd need to run a cable across the floor and one of my kids is bound to trip over it. Well it's the price of progress I guess...

16. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Depends on the build. I've had systems where the power supply was the loudest component.
    Infuriatingly, I had one where the loudest sound was from the power supply, and was COIL WHINE. Far more annoying, and not really fixable.

And while I like the feel of a microswitched keyboard, I do dislike the sound. Enough so that I sometimes switch to a bluetooth keyboard that isn't microswitched. Not what I bought it for, but it is useful in that regard.