1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice inexpensive gaming rig + UPDATE: best GPU <£200

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RedFlames, 24 May 2017.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Been asked to spec up a gaming rig for a friend so he can play Elder Scrolls online and possibly the Witcher trilogy.

Bit out of the loop on such matters so wanted a second opinion from the denizens of bit.

CPU: Pentium G4560
    Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
    Mobo: ASUS PRIME B250M Plus
    RAM: 8GB Corsair 2400MHz DDR4
    SSD: 275GB Crucial MX300 [or 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, whichever is cheaper at that given moment]
    GPU: Palit GTX 1060 [6GB]

PSU: Corsair CS550M
    Case: be quiet Black Pure Base 600

Total cost: ~£715 [budget is 750, but with a preference to keep it closer to 700 if possible]

Think the GPU may be overkill, and not sure on the case... could probably do with a case with filters [guy has pets].

Last edited: 27 May 2017
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would not bother with a board as good as that. I would get something like this, given you won't be overclocking anything any way.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Lga115...&qid=1495666132&sr=1-3&keywords=msi+h110&th=1

Get this PSU, no need for 550w.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-100-B...8&qid=1495666267&sr=1-3&keywords=450+watt+psu

Depending on resolution I would also drop the 6gb 1060 and go with the 3gb, as it is ample for the games you have mentioned @ 1080p.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-Vers...=UTF8&qid=1495666338&sr=1-2&keywords=1060+3gb

As for the case?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computer...d=1495666512&sr=1-3&keywords=atx+case+filters

You can always go with something nicer, but TBH for what you have said it will be used for there's really no point in spending £700. You could easily shave £200-£300 off that amount and still have a very capable little 1080p machine.

I've been watching a few videos on Youtube about the Pentium and it's much cheaper to build a very capable rig these days. The case may need some filters, but they shouldn't be too expensive.

EDIT. Actually thinking back the Zalman case does come with filters.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Personally what I'd do is the following:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M with Window
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 100-W1-0500-KR
    Board: MSI B350M GAMING PRO
    CPU: Ryzen 5 1400
    RAM: HyperX FURY 2x4GB DDR4 2400
    SSD: SK hynix SL308 250GB
    GPU: Gigabyte RX580 8GB or a 1060, whichever

Total (from Overclockers apart from the SSD): ~£750

Much better processor, that Pentium is useless for gaming and it seems a shame not to squeeze a quad core in with that budget.

Note: As V-T mentioned above, it'll max out the games mentioned at 1080P, but at least you know there's plenty of horsepower leftover. I always plan for people starting with a few older titles and then really getting into it :D

4. RedFlames

Thanks for the reply V-T i'll take it all under advisement...

That MSI Board though... aww hell no... nope... nooooooooooooooooooope... MSI are still on by no-go list [i like my stuff to live longer than 6 months...]. But I will look at cheaper boards.

the 550W PSU was because it was on sale and the same price as the 400W model.

I did umm and ahh over the 3GB 1060 or a RX 480/580...

Forgot to mention the 715 figure included a copy of windows [and as the pc isn't for me i really cba with the potential minefield of the cheap, possibly legit but potentially dodgy of the cheap keys]... But i see there is scope to possibly shave 50-70 off the the total if i opt for a cheaper gpu, case and/or cheaper mobo.

EDIT: I did look at trying to squeeze an r5 in under the budget... might give overclockers another try, but given my last order from there went less than smoothly, they're not my first choice.

Last edited: 25 May 2017
  5. Vault-Tec

I dunno man, £750 is a lot of bread to spend on a PC that may not end up getting used much. I know that many start gaming and want something better, but a lot of people don't.

From what I have seen the new Pentium (with HT) is fine for gaming. It has basically eliminated all of the stutter that previous Pentiums have had issues with and is almost as good as a much more expensive I3.

Maybe you should wait and see what the R3 brings to the table? because I would bet my nuts it will be budgetgamingtastic.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

If he's gaming at 1080p, and only casually, I'd go with a 1050Ti. Even the models without a 6-pin power plug overclock well, and they are surprisingly capable at full HD.

Can be had for £120-125, either saves a bit of cash for other components that aren't likely to be upgraded as soon, or brings the total cost down.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sounds like he is not already a PC gamer, If he is just trying out a few things and hasn't got a network of friends already what about a console, a PS4 Pro/Xbox S would get the job done at half the price including games, perhaps a bit left field.

Of course wouldn't get the entire witcher series but you can just jump into 3.

It just works, no need for a lot of knowledge and easier to sell on when done.

Last edited: 25 May 2017
  8. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Having kitted out my house mates PC with a 4 Gig GTX 1050 Ti I was rather surprised at how well the card performs. They are quite the pocket rockets for the cash.

9. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

My gut says you've picked the lowest spec CPU that will get the 1080p job done on those games, but gone overboard on almost everything else. As others have said, plenty of opportunity to lower the budget.

10. Vault-Tec

I would imagine they are pretty good yes. I've got a 950 under water and I managed 1600mhz with it. I was playing Borderlands 2 butter smooth even driven up to 4k. I know it's an old game, but it still looks pretty bloody good and runs like crap from the proverbial digging instrument.

The nice thing about the GPU manus "Chasing 4k" is that they are now selling cheap cards that can handle 1080p with ease. Which is good, given most people are still on 1080p. It's also allowed lower mid range cards (like the 580 and 1060) to achieve decent framerates at 1440p which again is awesome.

11. RedFlames

plot twist: guy wants [more needs as the guy has *no* space] a sff build.

So, question - most ITX boards seem to have their M2 on the reverse side of the board, does this pose any problems with regards to choice of case [like the silverstone sugo line, there doesn't seem to be much space between the board and case floor]?

12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Ho ho, the thick plottens. An SFF build, luvverly.

From what I have read, underslung M.2s are slim enough to fit when you're using a motherboard with 'normal' height standoffs ~6mm IIRC.

Just beware of them running hot and the potential cooling problems.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Thick thermal pad to the case will help

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

No issue at all, the m.2 maximum height spec is designed to be within the minimum rear-of-board clearance spec for ATX. If the SSD does not fit, your case manufacturer made a major ****-up and you also will have problems with CPU backplate fitment and the rear of the board shorting components.
    Thermal issues are not even worth considering unless you bought one of the OEM Samsung drives (PM9xx series) and are benchmarking it rather than normal daily use.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I ran a Samsung 951 on the underside of an ITX board in a SFF case for months - no issues at all.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'd agree with VT. Way too much money invested in case/mobo. At £700 you want to invest
    the absolute maximum into the GPU and CPU, with everything else (especially things that don't contribute to performance like the case) right at the bottom of the list.

17. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Nooooooo! Never skimp on the case! It's the one component you actually have to look at/show off all the time - and working in a cheap case is often an exercise in frustration, pain and blood.

Plus, you don't have to look too hard to find a decent case for not a lot of money nowadays!

18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Hmmmm... Balance to be had here.
    I was always advised to spend money on the GO, rather than the SHOW!
    What's your motivation in this scene??? :p

Yes, go for a suitable sized and quality case; but put the £££ into the GO components.

I have a friend at LAN night who runs worrying looking beige PCs, which have had the money spent on Mobo/CPU/GPU/PSU and go like the clappers!

19. Vault-Tec

I've used one of those Zalman cases before. I actually started modding one quite heavily a few years ago, only to find the MATX board I was going to put in it was dead :(

They're really not that bad at all tbh. Plenty of room to hide cables (the side panels have a bulge) and they look nice to boot. There are no sharp edges and it's perfectly laid out. They're also very small and quite narrow which is ideal if you are lacking space.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[looks around desk, fails to see case, remembers it's on the floor by his feet where every tower-style PC has been since upgrading from a Commodore 128] :p