1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project Ayr by slipperyskip

Discussion in 'Modding' started by slipperyskip, 29 Nov 2012.

1. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

Gigabyte Z77 Mini-ITX board

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silverstone HE02 heatsink. Nearly 1Kg of cooling goodness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Intel i3-3225 CPU with HD4000 graphics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The goal of this project is to get Intel HD4000 graphics out of a completely solid state, fanless, no moving parts system. The Silverstone heatsink will be exposed and will be integrated into the overall exterior design. The finish will be mahogany with aluminum accents.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2013
  2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Slipperyskip is back

Great to see you back, and with ITX too!

You're making what I'd call an 'NMP' build - No Moving Parts.

Wanted to have a crack at this myself sometime, so will be watching with interest.

I have a load of stuff to clear and a case mod to finish (may even make it to BT...) before considering anything else

It'll be awe inspiring, whatever you choose to do:D

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Yay! please stay this time Mr Skip!

4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

@Arboreal Thanks. I've been wanting to play with HD4000 for a while now but you could only get it on the high end CPUs. That didn't make any sense to me. Who is going to buy an unlocked K-model and run onboard graphics on it?

NMP sounds pretty good. Fanless just doesn't get it. I got into trouble calling Aerodyne fanless because I was describing the case and not the entire system.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2012
  5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I never left. I'm not going to post anymore project logs here until this star system mess gets squared away but I'm optimistic that will happen soon. :thumb:

6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

This looks very cool. All your projects have been such an inspiration to me and many other other people.

The massive heatsink really shows how tiny and awesome a mini-ITX board is.

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks talladega. When I was working on it I was doing this narration in my head...."And then I installed the motherboard onto the heatsink." :hehe: Seemed like that anyway.

I like heatsinks and the way they look. I often imitate them as decorative elements. (See Machine Age and Level Eleven.) I once planned to cut up a Mugen to use in a design. I'm really looking forward to using a real working heatsink as the central part of a case design.

I pulled the newly arrived HE02 out of its box last night and the wife went "Oooh". That's not a bad sign. :D

8. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Subscribed simply because the heatsink is bigger than the mobo.

looking forward to seeing how thise turns out with the heatsink on the outside.

9. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

The heatsink is rated at 95W in fanless mode and the CPU is rated at 55W so in my mind that allows me to degrade the heatsink efficiency by 40W. There will an upper as well as lower case structure with support pieces/elements connecting the two. These support pieces will block air flow but if my theory works I should be OK.

The big question is how well the heatsink works when there is absolutely zero ambient airflow. I'm thinking the wattage rating might assume some airflow from a case's other fans but then how can such a specific 95W rating be assigned to it? There are massive differences between each cases airflow.

Only one way to find out.

10. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

That's amazing to see the heatsink overpowering the motherboard. Looking forward to your posts on this project!

11. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Christine!

Just a general note. Over at Overclockers Australia (OCAU) members are blocked from starting new threads in the project log forum. Instead, everyone has to start out in the regular modding section and then be promoted by staff to the project log section. Very smart.

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

This looks like a badass SFF build! Seems like you're going for something more minimal, just black and grey would be a great way to go. :)

Can't wait to see more!

13. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Hey Kid! Thanks for stopping by. I agree. Two-tone done right looks good on almost anything. I've had some success with the alum/wood combo so I'm most likely going to stick to that. Aluminum for sure since that is the heatsink color (duh). I don't have to make a decision on the other "color" until later.

I did just receive a fresh batch of 1/32" (.8 mm) mahogany. I call it veneer but it's really called dimensional lumber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 1098

1098 What's a Dremel?

looking forward on this one :)

I recieved my parts today:
    Giga H77N-WIFI
    i5 quad core
    8 gb ram
    150w pico psu
    Cooler master V8 :D

and the idea is the same as yours, but I am having some doubts now, cause the cooler is really big, The hole idea came when I saw that V8 cooler...

15. asura

asura jack of all trades

Go nicely alongside a matching tube power amp...

16. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

You're right. That might look good. Maybe a complete tube amp inspired project with fake glowing tubes and all. I've seen that sort of thing attempted before but I don't think it has ever truly been done right. Maybe they were just missing an exposed heatsink...or two. :thumb:

17. 1098

1098 What's a Dremel?

that cooler looks just like a building, maybe a low chassi with some kind of landscaping, Architectural style.
    If the proportions are right, it would definitely look good :thumb:

18. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

Not sure how you feel about mixing media (electronics anyway) but what if you took the 'tube amp' idea a bit further, and built in a smaller assembly with some nixie tubes (with a dedicated controler, picaxe or arduino) that would click off the 'runtime' in seconds on the nixie display...or just keep up with real time via comms with the CPU. I personally think the accumulated 'run time' would be a neat addition.

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I got a name idea: "Atlas- a little guy holding up something huge."

... That will get all the wrong responses now that I re-read it.:worried:

20. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member