1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Fractal Define XL "Custom Motor Works" Nov. 2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by FannBlade, 10 Nov 2012.

1. FannBlade

FannBlade What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Hey guy's here is a build log for the Fractal Define XL case I have been commissioned to do. The case was graciously donated by Fractal-Design.
    This will be only a case build with no PC hardware,that will be installed by the end-user.
    It will be loosely based on the 2007 Corvette Brickyard Pace car mainly for the paint scheme. Goal is to give it an automotive feel without modifying the entire case as most of the mods will be done on top section of the case.
    It will include CNC billet aluminum case feet,headlight and taillight bezels and rear spoiler with fiberglass scoop and polished stainless exhaust side pipes. I will also make the lens for the lights out of cast acrylic with 12 volt LED bulbs. Grill and scoop opening will be fitted with modders mesh donated by MNPCTECH. Window will be shipped with clear acrylic that can be used or easily used as drill template for different color acrylic.
    Table of contents:
    1. Day one, cover plates.
    2. Top rad cover.
    3. Rear filler, grill cutout and welded up.
    4. Window cutout.
    5. Body side moldings and exhaust

OK on to the build:
    Here I have roughed out a set of case feet from 2" stock aprox. 1 1/2" tall with final design yet to be determined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside I made couple cover panels just to help clean up the inside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now to set it up for 360 rad in the top panel, as most of you know there isn't enough room in most cases for rad and push/pull fan setup. So I bent up a piece of .070 thick stainless because it is the same thickness of the rad grill I'm going to use. I used a sheet metal roller to create the radius in the front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Nov 2012
  2. FannBlade

Ok let's see if I can get everyone caught up:
    My first thought was to just make some straight panels to fill in the sides but wanted to do something different. I needed 2 1/4" to fill in top panel so ordered up some tubing.
    At this point I still had no direction of completed project...just started build and let it come to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now to cut out case top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to cut out for the rad grill. This is one I had here off an old build and used it mainly because it's steel. Both the new top and grill are .070 that should give it a nice flush look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Nov 2012
  3. FannBlade

Today I made the rear filler panel and cut out the grill area and finally welded top panel in place. Excuse the dirty welds I was out of argon gas so used a flux core wire. YUK!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. FannBlade

Now onto the window cutout. Layed out with masking tape and cutout with angle head grinder with 4 1/2" cutoff wheel and corner finished with a dremel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drilled and installed the 8/32" nutcerts for the cover panel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First round of prep work done. 4 rounds of bondo work rough down to 180 grit. I will be using a 2 part filler primer to final it for paint and wet sand with 400 grit paper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. FannBlade

Another update:
    I got the case feet tapped for 10/32 bolts and drilled case so I could get them mounted. This let me layout for the exhaust side pipes. Once in position drill through holes and attached them with 4- 8/32 nut-certs and some stainless bolts. Pipes with be sanded with 1000 grit and polished to a chrome like look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also started playing with the stainless body side moldings, still haven't decided if I will use these yet but do have them ready for final finish work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pic of the modders mesh for the grill area donated by MNPCTECH.
    [​IMG]

6. krussellusaf

krussellusaf What's a Dremel?

Looks like this is going to be a good one.

7. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Subbed!

Car theme combined with Fractal Design and Fannblade's metal fabrication and custom skills = :clap:

8. FannBlade

Thanks guys.

Got a little bit done today. Headlight and taillight bezels cut out of 2 3/8" 6061 aluminum round bar. Tomorrow I will cut the reflectors and drill for the LED's and hope to get acrylic lens fitted up. Should be able to finish the case feet also. That will wrap up the metal work, and then it will be off to primer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. FannBlade

At look at some more progress!
    Case feet done and ready to be buffed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video of the profile on bottom of case feet...it matches the light bezels.

http://youtu.be/Ki1_a3KbfV0

Last edited: 15 Nov 2012
  10. Johnny71

Johnny71 What's a Dremel?

sweet, looking forward for more! :)

11. FannBlade

Here is a sneak peak of the reflectors for the lights. LED's should be here in the morning then I will drill for the 5-5mm bulbs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

wow! incredible craftmanship! =)

Have to ask, do you reverse the polarity on the mag when you changes to flux core welding wire? if not, you should! usually you have 2 the + and - wires next to each other in the feeding compartment and all you need to do is reverse them, does magic with flux core! (flux core is MADE for reversed polarity..)

I work as a retailer for Kemppi welding equipments, dunno which brand you uses but it should help if you havent tried it already, it's something that applies to all brands. =)

EDIT: If you have any further questions, just ask!

13. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

that "exhaust" under the case is just awesome!!! maybe MOAR pipes under like on oldschool hotrods (and my favorite "last V8 interceptor" of course :) )

i have few 1-2 feet long pipes and definitely use them in my next project!

14. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

This looks awesome FannBlade, loving all of the custom parts :)

15. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Great work so far!

16. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

DAMMIT... I really wished I hadn't seen this build before it was done... Because I want to see MOAR! NOW! :)

Really cool build, very well excecution so far! :thumb:

17. FannBlade

Yes I did change polarity for the flux core. Going to get some gas next week.
    Thanks for the heads up. I hope to pick up a TIG for home next year.

Thanks guys.....MOAR inbound!

OK first round of paint.
    Sanded with 400 grit then spayed non-sanding primer sealer,3 coats white basecoat,2 coats white pearl,2 coats urethane clear.
    Some dummy forgot to un-tape the black before clear coat...I won't mention any names. Now I will have to tape case off to clear tiny bit of black!!!! The black will make more sense when I start painting side panels. If you are wondering why I left the case together,it's because I need to be able to place side panels,front panel and top to layout the stripes and graphics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

love tigwelders! to bad they're so expensive! -_-' atleast the ac/dc, cost you about 1500-2000 to get a decent one! :wallbash:

19. FannBlade

Going to take the cheap way out. This one has been getting good reviews. Should be great for no more then I will be using it. Eastwood TIG

Last edited: 19 Nov 2012
  20. krussellusaf

krussellusaf What's a Dremel?

That paint job looks amazing. I need to work on getting to that level. I can't wait to see what you do next.