1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google console rumoured to be in the works

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 28 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I didn't realize the Ouya had been released, $99 ! why is amazon uk asking £99 ?? Anyway i'd be interested in a cheap android console if i could plug an external hdd in and use it for media playback

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

What's in it for Google? I don't see why they would bother. I can see mass market devices like phones and tablets where they can really showcase their OS but I can't see why they'd spend any money developing a console.

4. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I'm guessing one reason is the same reason why the Nexus 4 is subsidised by them - more access to GooglePlay = more revenue through App sales.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

No chance, ouya reviews are out there and its hardly setting the world on fire in reviews that I've seen. Nvidias project shield pre order sales were so poor it got a price reduction.

Andriod games and iOS games for that matter are great on your phone or tablet but you don't want to play angry birds on a 40inch screen.

There's very few games that work well on a big screen that are on either mobile platform.

FIFA. Need for speed and driving games would be the best of the bunch.

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I've only read a very limited amount of things on the Ouya but from what I gather the main draw backs seem to revolve around the product not being very refined more than anything.

Sure, you or I wouldn't want to play Angry Birds on a 40inch screen but I am sure many others will, I can see products like this being popular with parents who don't fancy forking out £400 for the latest console and have children who constantly play games on their phone. I may be way off though.

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Because they want to know everything about you because thats how they make their money. If they know what games your playing or even all films/music you have then they can sell that info to people. Also it would probably use the play store which would bring in revenue.

8. Hg

Hg The game known as life

Problem with Ouya and Gamestick etc is they use there own market places therefore any games purchased for your Android tablet/phone through google play will not work :(
    A google console with access to your games already purchased would better suit me as i do not want to pay for a game twice on the same platform.
    It was for this reason alone i withdrew my kickstater pledge for Ouya.

9. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

It also has many emulators and you can run XBMC on it. Which seems to run a hell of a lot faster than the raspberry pi version, which has me tempted.

Tags: Add Tags