1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress "UnKnown"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by PcJunkie209, 27 Sep 2012.

1. PcJunkie209

PcJunkie209 What's a Dremel?

Hello all! Alright so its time for me to start my log here, now that I know what case I'm going to use for this mod comp put on by Cooler Master. Thank you CM once again for this awesome comp!! So I originally was going to use a Cosmos II for my entry and then saw all the entries with that case and decided to figure out something else. So I stopped by the CM store and saw this nice and soon to be released case with a clock ticking down and thought what the heck! So I will be using newly released Scout II for my mod. Not sure on the mods to it yet but I haven't done any red themed cases in awhile and EVGA was so kind to sponsor me a board and gpus for the comp.:) Now this is the first time working with EVGA and I'll try not to disappoint. I am un-sure of what will be all involved in this mod yet but I can say there will be some paint and water in the end result. I have been looking for a mid size case for awhile to make a more LAN party friendly pc since I travel to a lot of the LAN parties here in the USA. So the release of the Scout II and this mod comp couldn't have been timed any better. Ok so lets get down to business.The overall appearance of this case grabbed me. The look is sleek and has a newly designed handle on top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]]

I wasn't a big fan of the first Scout because of the cooling capabilities but this one looks to have a lot better cooling options. The side panel has a small window to see your hardware, but I will be changing that of course! :D The Scout II is growing on me for the sleek and elegant look of the case and because of the handle up top which will be handy for my LAN party travels, but the best part of the handle it doesn't look like one, but rather just blends right in and goes with the look of the case. So with that said I think its time for me to mod this case!!!

First I would like to thank all my sponsors for the help in this competition (Will update as I go.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Spec- So far

CM Storm Scout II
    Evga Z77
    Evga GTX680 x 2
    Intel i7 3770K

Scout II
    [​IMG]

Evga Z77 and Evga GTX680
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Intel i7 3770K
    [​IMG]

That's it for now will update as parts arrive.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2012
  2. PcJunkie209

At first I wasn't sure what I was going to do to this case hence the name UnKnown, but I decided I wanted to keep the appearance of the original look and decided to change out the front mesh and alter the look there somehow. I also decided a big window would be nice, so here is some pics of progress....

First case before any tear down......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is some tear down of case....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two different meshes from MNPCTECH.com Hmm which one??

[​IMG]

So far here is some hardware I have for this build.....

[​IMG]

And who has installed a system before testing hardware? I think we all have so here I'm testing and loading OS. And a closer look at the sexy Evga products!!

[​IMG]

Don't mind the cooler is this one. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now. Thanks for looking. I should have another update this weekend because I am working the door and mesh..... :)

3. PcJunkie209

Ok so I did some work this weekend. Here's some pics of the front panel. This was my first time replacing mesh with mesh. A few tools I used were my metal brake and some 10 snips.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I added some black to better promote the mesh and honeycombs in second pic. So here's the front all done till it goes to paint shop....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also did some work on the door. Here is the cut for my window....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now. Thanks for looking. Until next time......

4. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

IMHO that guy from CM scout box a bit "out of ammo"... :)

5. PcJunkie209

Lol!!!! :)

6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Lookin Good Lee! :thumb:

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I do love a good bit of modders mesh... :thumb:

8. PcJunkie209

Thanks Bill! :D

first time working with the mesh and I'm digging it!!:clap:

9. PcJunkie209

A little update. I did some work on the interior of the case. I started making a mid plate, a shroud to go around the fans and a piece to fill in the gap next to motherboard tray.
    Also got some goodies in the mail today from Performance-Pcs, Cooler Master and Patriot. Thank you!! On with the pics....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice clean bend from my brake....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

test fit and cut the shroud piece.

[​IMG]

Cutting some holes for wires and to see psu logo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I chose to use angle aluminum for my mounting because it is thicker so it gave me more metal to tap. Then u can see where I tapped for screws on back of mobo tray for easy removal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Testing rad clearance.

[​IMG]

Bent and cut my fan shroud.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry Cooler Master but Mnpctech's feet look better!

[​IMG]

Here u can see I had to cut away bottom portion of drive bay for fittings and rad clearance.

[​IMG]

And last but not least. I cut the filler piece next to mobo tray. It just looked naked there. :)

[​IMG]

Thats it for now. I am hoping next update will be a new paint job and some powder coating. Until next time........

10. PcJunkie209

Alright time for another update. I just got the inner case parts back from powder coating and the case has paint!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Enjoy............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the airbrushing was done by Nano from AirRaid Airbrushing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and added some more detail..........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope everyone is liking the way this coming out. I am really excited about the way this is coming together. Still need to get clear coat on the case and I'm still waiting on some more parts from my friends over at FrozenQ PC Mods. Until then. Thanks for looking.

11. PcJunkie209

Ok so it's time for an update on my mod. here we go!!!!!

So a lot of pics. here's fresh back from clear coating.

[​IMG]

I started adding some hardware like the Excalibur fans I painted to match. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started to lay out some WCing parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed the motherboard for placement of surrounding parts.

[​IMG]

FrozenQ res came in so finding a home for that and the pump.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

small space to have the cooling connecting but it will work :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almost forgot FrozenQ is coming out with a new cpu waterblock. It will look similar to this. The one I have is the prototype. To the surrounding edges it will have acrylic with optional etching and such.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EVGA GTX680's getting cooled

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

680's installed........

[​IMG]

running the tubing for the wcing......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An the fun part filling the system for the first time. I used Mayhems light Red Pastel for this build.

[​IMG]

Thats it for now thanks for looking. Still a lot of work PSU needs sleeving and debating on copper tubing but may have to take out psu shroud for that. Decisions!!! Until next time.

12. PcJunkie209

Ok so I have some more pics. I got this mod up and running for Sacramento Lanfest so I could show Evga what they got involved in. :) So this is most likely going to be reworked because I'm not too sure I am happy with it. Anyways on with the pics..........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had some logos done. Karl Maser does excellent work!
    [​IMG]

And what is a mod without the best from Nils!!

[​IMG]

For kicks I took it out for some sun and you can see the graphics better. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for now will be back soon if I decide to make some changes. Until then............

13. PcJunkie209

Alright so I made a few changes to this mod. As you will see I decided to take out the sub-floor. I think it was a fare trade! I have been doing some reading about running copper tubing and finally made the plunge. I pick up a few tools and some 12mm copper tube to start playing with and decided to go for it. Here's some pics.

I picked up a two handle pipe bender, a cutter and used my trusty MNPCTECH mod ruler to get accurate measurements....

[​IMG]

While I had the board out I went ahead and took a couple more pics of the FrozenQ prototype waterblock...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's how it came out... :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also started on the psu.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now. Thanks for looking. More to come. Until then......

14. PcJunkie209

Ok so here is some finished pics. First The sleeving. I also changed the PCI-E cables to have each cable split into 2 6 pin cable about 5 inches from psu....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some pics of the finished mod "UnKnown"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking at my log. Until next time.....

15. Ra6

Ra6 What's a Dremel?

Wow! I love that art!
    I think that the colour of the copper of the tubes doesn't match with the entire mod... it was better with the red tubes! ;)

16. PcJunkie209

Ya I'm still kicking around getting them chromed.

17. PcJunkie209

:) ........... :)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2013
  18. PcJunkie209

OK so I made a few changes for the CES show. I think I forgot to share the pic of me taking the regular tubing out right after I drained it so I'll start with that and then on the Chromed copper tubing............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All done with the assembly here's a couple more pics and then I'll have to round up some CES pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics soon......... Until then.... Thanks for looking.