1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft launches Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Installed it yesterday, but I still don't like it. Can't deal with how the tabs and adress-field are arranged etc.

3. Panos

Panos Minimodder

IE10? I left it somewhere at 6-7 when Chrome came out.

Never looked back.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Installing it now. I find I need it occasionally as a second browser for certain web tools.

5. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Never use IE and when I go home and grab my copy of windows 7 pro, I wont be using the god-awful windows 8 either!

6. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Yes but it now downloads chrome 25% faster...

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

What a great thing for Microsoft to do. Offering the superior IE10 to Win7 consumers. You don't need any lame third party browser adware like chrome, firefox etc. etc. For those who, how did they put it "never looked back" or "never use it" you can't throw an opinion on how good the alternative is unless you've used the new version. Even IE9 was better than the supposed great alternatives.

or you can just keep your head in the sand, we won't miss you ;)

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Tried and tested all of the IE-versions alongside the alternatives at any given time. At the moment IE simply sucks compared to FF/Chrome/Opera.

They simply don't get the simpliest thing right in IE, such as the tabs being above the adressbar for example. Nor is the configuration of IE anywhere near as pleasant as with FF/Chrome/Opera.

Performance means nothing, when the user-experience isn't good aswell.

9. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Looks virtually identical. Seems a bit snappier though.

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

IE 10 is alright, but chrome syncs tabs between my ipad, has lastpass (cant remember if IE does now), and it never crashes on me while IE occasionally does. Also the compatibility issues people used to get on other browsers barely apply now as most developers recognise the significant number of people not on IE.

11. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

He he, all are allowed their opinion, even when the numbers tell a different story. Not saying you are wrong... well maybe I am. For you its right, for an ever growing number of people, IE (up to V10 anyway) sucks balls of old cabbage.

12. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Well we waited a long time for it.

Now we just need Chrome to bring out a new browser.

Oh wait, they update theirs a couple of times a month, it is just that as it updates itself utterly seamlessly I never noticed.

I think IE 10 would have to give me a free car wash or something to get me to try it out.

Microsoft, so late to the party everyone else has got drunk and gone home.

On a serious note, this big new release once in a blue moon strategy is just fossilised. Firefox and Chome update, improve and add features on a continual basis.

I remember when Chrome introduced GPU acceleration of web pages. No big fan fair, no two year wait - it just appeared one day in one of their regular updates.

13. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

But they have to give extra reasons to upgrade to W8. Doesn't really make sense when the competition does it better though. But while Ballmer is there, we must do it his way I suppose. After all Ballmer knows best!

I'll be giving it a go shortly mind, but I doubt it'll be my daily driver. Especially when my work PC is an XP machine. See Chrome works on that and so that brings loads of benefits that IE10 doesn't. Like the ability to install for one.

14. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Oh hai there, I wasn't even remotely aware that there were still people who choose to use Internet Explorer voluntarily.

The things you learn.

15. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

LMAO, love the anti-Microsoft brigade trying their hardest to ridicule a positive comment about Microsoft. IE is the only browser you need but there's some protest against it, why? Because it's Microsoft? Because your machine can't load it?

I've personally used all variants of the so called better alternative and I can hand on heart say they just don't cut it. The worse thing about the so called better alternative is the "Look at me!" "install me!" "upgrade me!" "Try this free!" nonsense. They are like a small child crying out for attention in a room full of children. As a result, at best it's adware at worst it's malware.

16. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Personally, I'm not touching IE since it presents the largest attack surface for malware and other security vulnerability exploits. The first thing I do after clean Windows install is to uninstall Internet Explorer.

No idea what you're talking about. I use Chrome with AdBlock and Ghostery for everyday surfing and SandBoxied Opera for netbanking, and I haven't noticed any of that behaviour you mentioned.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2013
  17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

There is a reason for the anti-Microsoft brigade. IE is a really bad piece of software it breaks features in there own OS, it fails to load some web sites. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Internet-Explorer-10-for-Windows-7-Completely-Kills-Aero-333093.shtml

And all this was reported to M$ in the preview build but still they release this buggie POS.

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I use IE all the time at the office, mainly due to the software admins going all Nazi on any browser they can't control nicely with group policies.
    IE10 is better than IE9, which is better than IE8, etc.
    MS has mentioned that they might look into background updating (probably with windows update then) - CBA to find the source of that now.

At home, I use Safari, mainly because it's default on my mac and works a charm - though I also have FF installed there.

as for breaking aero and not loading certain websites: I have yet not seen any of that... and I have used it since Beta.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Don't care for Internet explorer used Firefox since its release i won't be changing anytime soon.

20. mikemaher205

mikemaher205 What's a Dremel?

Count yourselves lucky... At my work we use IE6. Yes, version 6, six, it's not a mis-type.