1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Hardware Podcast 11 - Laptop On Fire

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Yay! About bloody time :p

3. Arj12

Arj12 What's a Dremel?

This was the first time I have listened to a pod cast by these guys and I will definitely be listening to them again! Keep up the good work guys!

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

wow, Pete has been honoured! lol

for Fermi cards: to be honest, Crysis is old news, we should only be looking at Dx11 titles for Dx11 cards. in Dx11 games, these nVidia cards does keep up very well. 470 is about same speed as 5870, which in America's price, it's very competitive.

totally agree with instructions per clock thing. clock-for-clock is incredibly important when all similarly priced CPU's can now be clocked to around 4Ghz speed.

what people didn't realise with SSD is that it's not about sequential read speed. it's more about responsiveness of the system, able to open programs as soon as you click on them, and not hearing a peep from the computer

on the point of upgrading for Dx11, i did for Bad Company 2 and Aliens vs Predator. totally worth it!

5. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

buuh
    from 2003
    Socket 754 = budget athlon 64/sempron with single channel memory
    Socket 939 = highend athlon 64
    Socket 940 = server and workstation only

from 2005
    Socket AM2 = DDR2 support
    Socket AM2+ = HT3 suppor
    Socket AM3 = DDR3 support
    :p

as far i know intel has had
    Socket 775
    Socket 775 (core 2)
    Socket 1156 (core i5, Dual Channel)
    Socket 1136 (core i7, Triple channel)

6. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

haha the guys loved ripping on Pete. reckon theyre jealous? lol

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Thank you, thank you! *bows*

I'm afraid I have absolutely no connections within the computer industry - it was simply a matter of pre-ordering the cards as soon as they appeared. Speaking of which, I now qualify for a free gift from Zotac as I have at least two Zotac products!

As for noise, I've already mentioned that in my mini review. Anyone who doesn't have headphones and has more than one card directly next to another will need watercooling though (unless they play with the volume on 11). I'm also modding the side of my case to have four Gentle Typhoons blowing on the 480s - that should help the heat when I actually have the side on.

One thing about Crysis: I'm sure the more tech savvy among you will realise that it actually implements its own version of DX11 on the higher settings for certain textures. Of course, because it isn't actually DX11, the new cards can't take advantage of this. Hopefully Crysis 2 will have proper DX11 implementation.

In regards to SSDs, I don't have one because a) I can't be bothered to reinstall everything, b) I have A LOT of games installed (509GB, not including ones which are in funny places) and c) the cost per GB is still a joke.

I completely agree with you guys about the 470 (the 'what am I doing here?' comment made me grin). Until it's priced in the same ballpark as the 5850, it simply isn't any use. Even in an SLI configuration, it's very hard to argue for it.

Last edited: 8 May 2010
  8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

nice podcast.. and lol at pete =] you could probably sell those for retail right now to some fanboys

9. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

boooo

I Like storage and Networking

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Reply: "Hi guys! I did download it and listen :-D"

Tags: Add Tags