bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 3rd Feb 2013, 19:53   #1
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.
NAS Box/Media Streaming advice needed

I would like to stream downloaded films, tv programmes etc to my tv.
Is a Synology Diskstation/WD Media Streamer the best combination of price/performance?

Also, would prefer wireless because of the position of the router.

Thanks for any advice.
Somer_Himpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2013, 17:11   #2
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.
Anyone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Somer_Himpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2013, 17:24   #3
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hmm... Qnap makes some good and affordable NAS. But you could aswell go with simple external USB-drives.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2013, 17:28   #4
Gurdeep14
Supermodder

Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If you have a smart tv, by that I mean it has internet capability as well as DLNA, then building a cheap system from spares is the best solution in my opinion.
I made a NAS using my old C2Q Q6600, Corsair PSU, Corsair Memory and a cheap case, put windows 8 on it and installed Serviio, placed it in the attic and its an awesome server, media streamer.
Serviio, transcodes files so they are compatible with the device reading them, so as most TV's are fussy over which formats they can use, you wont need to worry about it as Serviio converts them on the fly and sends them to the TV.
You can get a pretty cheap AMD system theses days which will be more than enough with low power usage.
As mine is on all the time, I also installed uTorrent so it can download and upload files and once downloaded, automatically re-locate the files to a directory Serviio scans at regularly intervals for new media ready for streaming
Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4Ghz HT | EVGA 780 Classified Hydro Copper 3GB | ASUS Rampage Extreme II | 12GB Corsair Dominator CM3X2G1600C8D | Enermax Revolution 1250W | ASUS Xonar D2X | 250GB Samsung Evo | 256GB Samsung 830 |2 Samsung F3 1TB | Silverstone TJ-07 |
Gurdeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote