1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards 3 pin/4 pin - fan spots on mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by happysack, 17 Jan 2012.

1. happysack

happysack goodateverthinger

What's the difference ? Cheers :)

2. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

4 pin can provide a pwm signal to control pwm fans. Some motherboards also can use voltage to control non pwm fans.
    You can usually plug a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin socket and the otherway around you just loose the pwm functionality

3. happysack

happysack goodateverthinger

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

PWM = digital fan speed control at constant voltage using pulses of varying width. Much more efficient than changing the voltage level to control fan speed. Although 4 pin CPU fan headers can accomodate 3 pin fans, quite often they don't regulate the speed unless you use 4 pin fan. This is the reason I ditched all of my 3 pin fans last week and purchased 4 pin PWM fans that can plug into each other serially for up to 5 fans. Thus you can drive 5 fans on a single PWM fan header.

Fitting the new PWM fans has dropped my liquid cooled GPU temps by 10c to = 31c full load in Battlefield 3.

Bottom line?

Ditch any 3 pin fans and go for Arctic F12 PWM...

http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=167301&source=froogle

You can chain up to 5 of these togther without having to buy a fan cable splitter.

74 CFM per fan with very low noise.