1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other New console

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David, 23 Sep 2014.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This is NOT intended as bait for a flame war - I'm only interested in opinions of the owners of the respective consoles, as to their good points and bad points.

I'm thinking of getting the kids a new console for xmas.

They have an Xbox 360 but, as the XBone can't play their back catalog of Xbox games, I assume there's no reason not to consider the PS4. Or am I wrong?

I don't game on consoles at all, so I'm in your hands people.

Can you give me some constructive pointers as to the delights and misgivings you have about YOUR OWN PS4 or XBox One?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

I have an Xbox one, when deciding which console the main thing for me was exclusives,

The 2 machines aren't different enough in hardware to gauge performance as a deciding point.

My personal view is if you want pure gaming then go for the PS4, if you want amazing gaming as well as a media centre then go for the Xbox one, the voice commands, kinect improve media centre features hugely, I walk in from work pop my head through the door saying 'Xbox on' go to the loo, sort a drink then walk into the room and it auto logs me in with facial recognition, then proceed to 'Xbox select' and simple voice commands allow full navigation of all cable box and apps like Netflix etc, has an app for android and iOS to get missions on your phone while playing various games for extra immersion, can use the voice controls during games to enhance speed and efficiency of tasks to.

It's a really great console, true next gen, apposed to what some say the features are not pointless and simply enhance the experience.

Trying to stay non biassed but I don't own a PS4 so fairly difficult.

While the Xbox ones apparent less powerful graphics may have you worried, experience has shown with old consoles and ps4 vs Xbox one comparisons that unless you do side by side comparisons the difference in graphics is negligible and therefore pointless to mention.

Developers will continue to make games for both consoles in which the play will remain the same and only have small differences in resolution and frame rates to the point only a bionic eye could point out when viewing separately.

Leading back to my previous statement of the hardware not being a deciding factor

Last edited: 23 Sep 2014
  3. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Down with all consoles! PC master race rules! Flames, petroleum, etc. More flaming etc.

Sorry I had to! If it helps, when you decide on a console I'm sure I could pack it really well for you! :D

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I think when it comes to kids you need to find out what there friends are getting, a lot of people are migrating from 360 to PS4 but if all their friends are going for the One then that might be the best option, as there is no cross play between Sony and MS you need to get the right one so they don't miss out on all the banter at school.

This is probably higher up on the list than what exclusives etc.

Regarding my PS4

Delights

tidy package, great controller, good performance, considerable more power than the One, bodes well for the future and it has some great games.

misgivings

its a bit noisy, doesn't do a lot of the media playback the old one did, not a lot of reason to really have one, most of its good games are non exclusive and available on other platforms, obviously it is still early days, plenty of things coming but the same can be said for the other side.

I think it has a strong future, ultimately it is selling by the bucketload which bodes well for developer support, Sony have garnered a lot of support generally from developers big and small since realizing there arrogance early in PS3 days and turned things around.

5. Xaine

To respect the wishes of the op I don't wish to get into a heated debate but I feel your misleading here, do you have any viable evidence of the PS4's apparent superiority in performance? I would honestly like to read it as I don't believe it to be so from what I have read myself.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Google is your friend here, PS4 has slightly slower CPU but 50% more powerful GPU backed up with very fast GDDR5 vs the Ones DDR3 and small ESRAM which is why most games run faster and higher resolution on PS4, plenty of comparisons Here

Its just like PCs the machine with stronger GPU typically wins out in gaming.

7. David

Again, I asked for people to highlight the good and bad of their own console - not looking for any assumptions on the opposition. :)

If you believe your console is the second coming of christ with absolutely no flaws whatsoever, that is fine - write it down. The last thing I want is debate between the two camps.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, dude, the PS4 is around a 3rd faster.

Has 8Gb GDDR5 vs the Xbox One's GDDR3 and the Xbox one only has 12 compute units vs the PS4s 18. This is why you are seeing quite a few games come out running at 60fps in full 1080p on the PS4, while the Xbox version has to make do with a lesser resolutions or reduced fps. In GPU terms its like a 7790 vs a 7870.

The only thing the Xbox has over the PS4 is EDRAM and a 10% bump in CPU clock speed – neither of which is likely to overcome the benefits of GDDR5 or extra 6 compute units.

Personally, I’d go for a PS4. Kinect isn’t taking off in any real way (hence M$ now selling Xboxes without it bundled), and the PS4 is much more future proofed. They also have arguably better relations with the indie dev community, and games like Little Big Planet 2 coming out that should appeal to kids. We use ours for playing Destiny, Last of Us etc, but that’s not really why you are buying it.

9. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I was in the same position as you Spreadie, I needed to get a console for myself and the kids just didn't know what to go for so I bought both!

Reasoning behind buying both was so I can play the exclusive games on both.

I got a good deal at Game for the xbone I got it for £349 with destiny and halo (when released) plus I got over £7 worth of points on my reward card. Then I ordered the PS4 destiny bundle for £319 from Tesco with next day click and collect. I sold the xbone copy of destiny to cex and got £35 cash and ended up buying watchdogs.

I would say go for the xbone for the kids as i find the controller to be much better. Plus the layout of the xbone is much more user friendly especially for my kids (boys are 8 & 7)

Find out what their friends own as that's going to be a major factor

10. Xaine

Aye, sorry bud, I've edited original review and will leave it at that, whichever you get it will be enjoyed I would imagine :) happy buying.

11. David

Thanks flame, that was very useful.

As far as his friends go - they seem to be fairly evenly split between the two consoles.

I hadn't considered the exclusives - my eldest is a fan of the Halo series for starters...

12. flame696

If he is a fan then get the xbox one especially the deal I got as that's one of the best deals out I had been looking a lot especially on hotukdeals.co.uk nothing beats it

13. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Steps to take when choosing a console:

1) Can it play Mario Kart?
    2) See 1.

14. flame696

^^lol lucky got a console that does that too

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

games already out which don't use Kinect - diablo 3 and detiny iirc.

wife loves her xbox one - does a lot of what she wants , better now it can stream from usb - proper DLNA is coming back as well.

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I would say the WiiU is the superior console, with the most high quality and fun games.

BUT that aside, I think the XBox One is the way to go.
    Every console has it's genre of games, if they had the XBox 360, they probably enjoy XBox games, the same way I enjoy Nintendo games. So, getting an XBox One would continue that trend. It's all about the exclusive titles.

Personally, seeing the games are out on the PS4, or XBox One, if I gotten either, I would have returned it. Expect for 1-2 games, I don't see me enjoying them. As for the mulch-platform games, well they are on PC. Why would I play them on console. They are cheaper on PC, and I'll get a better experience.

If they really like Halo and Gears of Wars, well, I think you have your answer.

Now, HOWEVER, if you see their game collection and everything is third party, then yea you can get them a PS4.

17. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'd consider the wiiU for kids. Currently, our ps4's don't get too much use, due to me preferring pc, and my brother not a fan of most games that are available. The biggest issue for me (because I rarely play it) is when I do want to play it, the controllers are dead. The battery life on them is something like 6-8 hours.

A lot of people love their wiiU for being able purchase and play classic games through the nintendo store, and being able to play on the controller if others want to use the tv. You could say the wiiU is more portable because of its controller. Not sure on battery life, but it's got a large variety of games, and many of them are multiplayer.

18. David

I'm not buying into wiiu - it's a dead platform IMO

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Xbox one is cheaper these days if its a consideration £329 now in most retailers. Really does just come down to what exclusives you want to pay. Im personally waiting for them both to hit sub £200 should be next year at current rate. Then buy them both with the exclusives I want to play.

Wii U has the best party game on the market in Mario kart the fun you can have when drunk playing that is just too good sometimes. Friend of mine owns the console and it sees more usage than his xbox one does.

PS4s best point at the minute is the constant stream of AAA games that are free each month from the Sony PSN they are much better than Microsoft is currently offering on its xbox one.

It will come down to who owns fifa 15 on what console for most kids though if all there m8s are on ps4 then its ps4 if they all play it on xbox one then your buying that.

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I have an xbox one, had it for some time now, and it rarely gets used - a little more now that minecraft has appeared.

It is a very capable games console, however I still find it almost impossible to play FPS type games using a game pad so end up with racing games or platform type stuff (and of course minecraft, which without dedicated servers is a bit meh)

If you are considering it for more than just a games console then it offers very little.
    • It has a very limited number "apps", as in less than 20 and most focused around pay per view TV
    • Streaming content from a PC requires that you push from the PC rather than pull, so pretty rubbish from the armchair
    • You can't load up your music collection onto the console
    • Every time you switch it on there is another update, getting like Steam - so a quick 30 minute game gets ruled out often
    • It's ugly, we got rid of our Betamax in the 80's yet here it is in all it's glory disguised as a games console.

Games for gold is OK. You now get a couple of games a month, although they are bottom of the barrel games.

It's a games console with a some AAA titles and lots of B titles,all of which cost more than they should.

A bit like the PS4.