1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Alien: Isolation Review

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fizzban, 4 Oct 2014.

1. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

much more interested in this ,

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Honestly, that's the second time you've posted a video of that in a thread about another game dude. Surely it makes more sense to post up a dedicated thread on Flagship where you can post content and interest about it?

On topic, Isolation does seem to be getting pretty good reviews across the board. I don't have the money, or time to get it at the moment, but I reckon I'll pick it up some time next year.

The last few paragraphs from the RPS review certainly sound encouraging for Isolation :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/03/alien-isolation-review-pc/

Last edited: 5 Oct 2014
  4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

This arstechnica reviewer didn't seem to like it.

5. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

6. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I get the impression that its going to be a very mixed reception as opposed to all in one camp or the other (like A:CM), personally I made the rash (for me) choice of pre-ordering this one based on the last trailer. I guess what will really clinch it is what you personally are expecting from the game.

So far, based on the reviews I've seen, the biggest crime the game commits is that its not as good as it could have been which to me is a subjective viewpoint but then so is reviewing anything.

From what I've seen I do genuinely think I'm going to enjoy it and ultimately that's what really matters. I've taken a leap of faith on this one, good luck to all of you who did the same.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Would be nice to hear your thoughts on it johnnyboy700 once you have spent some time with it, i was going to add this to my must buy list but after reading the arstechnica review i have been put right off.

If the game is broken like the reviewer claims that would ruin any enjoyment and be very frustrating, if the alien finds you no matter where you hide, or what obstacles lie between you and him.

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Hmmm I was so looking forward to this one and now... well I was nervous enough about it to avoid the pre-order and now... playing it might turn out to be an exercise in sadomasochism.

Time will tell.

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Played it ages ago at EGX:Rezzed and thought it was quite cool - good blend of jumpiness and atmosphere building, although I only played for about 10 minutes.

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

14.6gb download, 8hours for me,

will be able to play it on a nice triple screen set up and 7.1 sound

-price is high: Alien: Isolation Digital Deluxe Edition
    £43.99 GBP
    - Hope a Dk2 patch gets added,

Last edited: 6 Oct 2014
  11. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Initial impressions are favorable, they have certainly captured the design and feel of the first Alien film. For example if you are sufficiently geeky to know what the symbols mean at the corridor junctions it will help you navigate around the ship/station.

Admittedly I haven't played it for very long but so far I do like the feel of it, if you've played every survival horror game going then you'll probably find it a bit dull (been there, done that, fetched this part to insert into that object, criscrossed the map soooooo many times) but if you haven't overdosed on the genre you should enjoy it. If you are a fan of the Alien universe, especially the Ridley Scott version, then you should have fun.

I'm just looking forward to the first time I meet the Alien, we'll see how much of an effect it has on me. I found them quite scary in the past but after killing so many as either a marine or a Predator they kind of lost their impact, I'm hoping that A:I will reintroduce the proper fear for the Alien.

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Its pretty nice game, not worth £44 if it had dk2 support then totally it would be worth it but its just a shadow of the game they are trying to portay on flat screens even on a 3x27" set up has nothing compared to the dk2 experience, the game has some nice presence thou on triple screen, the sound is excelent really well done. cut sences not supported on triple screen thou which I thought was a missed trick.

The game is daunting, there were times I was scared to continue, like when you go in to the space port go up to the top deck and then look through the huge windows to the left and see the ship then the blinds come down, that was really dishearting and the dark of the space port made me feel unconfortable.

I am at the bit where I picked up that computer unit after the girl fled trying to get the elevator working, and now I need to get an enegy cell, I am a bit lost now I think I have to go back to that control box and rewire so I can open other doors?

Ill do some screen shots,

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

[​IMG]

**************** :worried:

14. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

go on press f twice really fast :D

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

apparently this game does have full rift support but is has been turned on you edit a file to enable it.

1) in ENGINE_SETTINGS.XML (found in the DATA folder) change the stereo options to:

<Setting name="Stereo Mode">
    <Quality name="Rift" precedence="4"/>
    </Setting>

2) Set the Oculus to extended mode.

3) In the oculus configuration utility pause the service.

4) Start the game.

http://imgur.com/a/IC7TQ

Going to have try this out.

Edit: Holly Mollow its working and looks flipping awesome, I am starting the whole game from start. Ill do a video!

Last edited: 8 Oct 2014
  16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe they didn't want anyone having a heart attack, or sending them the bill for cleaning their underwear. :D

18. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have played a couple of hours, got completely stuck and didnt know where to go, now I am beeing shot at so need to sneak past them.

I notice one glaring thing, the facial animations suck, mouth movement is like they skipped it and just put an up and down movement of the jaw/mouth as words are said.

19. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Only played a bit (just got the motion tracker) but can say this:

If I'm ever in a situation like this, either my heart would burst from beating way too hard too fast, I'd off myself before the alien can get me, or I'd lose it and charge the alien and try beat it to death with the crowbar thing.

The atmosphere of the game is absolutely brilliant. Sure there are spots where they could have improved, but I'm generally too busy trying not to crap my pants/scream like a little girl to really notice or care

Did I mention I really don't like playing horror games like this, Amnesia, etc?

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

wait until you reach MED/SCI, you'll be cowering under a table watching your motion tracker for an hour.