1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

There have been a number of bicycle related threads here recently, so we might as well go for a dedicated thread as quite a few of us are really quite into the subject and can offer pretty good advice.

So, use this for all bike related questions and discussion :thumb: We could probably create a bunch of useful links (stores, etc?) if people would find it useful...

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

How about a cycling tab, much as we have a motors one?

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Nah, change it from motors of vehicles.

Mountain biking, the sport of buying the best most expensive parts and then trying to break them.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Or: the sport of finding the smoothest paths and then taking some other route.

I made this up after coming down from a hill along what had to be the path with the most and the largest rocks of the whole goddamn hill. The path I followed up was smooth and would have been about twice as fast way of coming back down.

5. dsjonboy

dsjonboy What's a Dremel?

Good idea for a thread. I think we can see cycling becoming a lot more popular in the next 10 years as roads get more congested and cost of driving is going through the roof.

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

:thumb:

if this is the bikes thread, i guess i'll ask my bikes question here: what fork should i buy? my old marzocchi z4 has blown its seals so many times i have given up all hope for it. i don't do a lot of big drops or jumping or anything so it doesn't need to take that much of a beating, but i'm not after something super-lightweigh either. i've been looking at the marzocchi marathon. 100mm of travel would be nice. i can probably spend up to about $600, but i'd rather go about 400.

also, if anybody is in the canmore/banff area this summer, send me a PM and we'll go for a ride. there's some really great trails here.

Last edited: 9 May 2008
  7. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Given the rising price of gas in the US(just spent 10% of my paycheck on one tank of gas), you may see many more people interested in bike riding, I know it's time for me to get mine all cleaned up for spring so I can ride it to school.

8. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Hey, I didn't know you were down there?! My family goes camping over at Two Jack all the time. Plus I'm thinking of moving down to canmore. Whats it like? How are housing prices doing? How about renting? Anything interesting for like $800? Or should I be more realistic?

As far as biking goes, I just got a new Acid, and will post pics soon!

9. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I've got a Peugeot PB16, probably mfg'd in the late 80s, it's pink, and for the time i'd assume light, it's aluminum. I love that thing, leaning into the corners, great fun, but oh the gravel.

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Perhaps we should have a 'Show us your bike' thread.

11. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I'd post in it, some of them may even be relevant to the thread!

12. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

housing prices are dropping, but you still aren't going to get anything for less than $650k. you should be able to get a basement suite for around $800 though. the rental market is pretty good.

@jamie - i love the new av.

13. RTT

RTT #parp

The low end rockshox stuff is pretty good for the money, they do a few 100mm forks in both air & coil spring models

14. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Am I the only BMX rider on here?

15. heh-

heh- curses.

Has anyone ever ridden a ghost bike before? I am thinking of getting one, but as a newbie rider I'd like to get an opinion before spending that kind of money.

16. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I used to have a BMX for getting around at uni. I must have looked a numpty. Tall people look silly riding them :p

17. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

You can't fault that bike on the specs but I'd read some rider opinions before purchasing. A bike could have all the best components but if the geometry is wrong for your size/build then it'll be a horrible ride.

18. RTT

RTT #parp

Wiggle currently have 20% off all tyres and all hydration packs. Pretty handy since I new tyres and a bigger camelbak!

19. gar

gar Minimodder

& likewise
    Am I the only roadie here?

20. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

No I ride BMX, but I do look a little silly as I'm 6' 2", but I'm more at home on a mountain bike though, just wish they didn't break so easily.