1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other When Scan delays my order, should I wait or cancel?

Discussion in 'General' started by oscy, 21 Oct 2014.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

I just got an email about something I bought from there saying it's delayed because of a "temporary shortage of stock", with an "estimated lead date" of the 24th (I assume that's the day they expect to have stock in and send my package).

Shall I just wait? Or is this one of those too-common things where the stock never comes (or doesn't for weeks), and I'm better off cancelling it now?

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Lead date is when they will next have an update, not when stock will be in. Generally scan aren't known for efficiency, and you could be waiting ages.

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Give them a call, they will give you what info they can, if you're not happy with what they say see if they are able to suggest an alternative. (Unless you are dead set on what you ordered)

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

They delayed a very large order with me once for almost a week.
    I was building a new system for a friend and got everything from them. They lied about what they had in stock, and so i called them up and pointed out the error of there ways and hit a very very good deal with them.

The motherboard, PSU where both upgraded to the next model up that where in stock free of extra charge. This was a saving of about £40-50 if i originally ordered said models.

So i say call them and be polite but firm to try and get a reasonable deal off them, dont take the piss or they will flat out tell you to bugger off.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think Scan are/have lost their edge when it comes to customer service and now I rarely use them when I used to buy everything from them. Whereas I would not accuse them of lying they are most certainly economic with the truth.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

While I am a fan of Scan, their biggest failing appears to be their stock control system.

I've fallen foul of it a couple of times. The item is shown as in stock when you place the order, but you get an email afterwards stating it isn't in stock. It's infuriating, but it doesn't happen very often.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Oh look, this is still happening to "1% of customers". I fell foul of this several times and complained about it to no avail before calling it quits with Scan. Search for the term "stock control" with my username on this forum and you'll see plenty of posts about it. I'm glad that I decided to cease trading with them over a year ago. My new favoured component supplier has had no such stock control issues in countless orders.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2014
  8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's a shame that stock control issues continue to let Scan down. You'd think that they'd sort it out, but then again it's been going on for years now so I doubt it'll ever change.

Uni, who do you use these days, as a matter of interest?

9. oscy

oscy Modder

I called and they said it should be in stock on the 24th (the lead date).

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Ebuyer; Flawless customer service and delivery. I've also started ordering from Yoyotech recently after a recommendation from Lysaer. I can't fault them either.

11. oscy

oscy Modder

So I found a new store.

Yoyotech have the same PSU for less including P+P. However, I also just discovered by complete chance that Bit-Tech members get free postage (that would've been nice to know a week ago). So Scan is immediately cheaper again if I were to cancel then buy again, but I don't know if I'll be up before midday to get it earlier. -_-

i'll just leave it and call on Friday. If they haven't got the stock in, I'll cancel it and buy it on Yoyotech.