1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Going smaller and quieter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bede, 21 May 2014.

1. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Evening all.

As London living space is at a premium, I require a smaller and quieter computer. It is, when I have time, used for gaming so I can't afford a performance drop.

What I'm looking to do is replace the case and motherboard, potentially also the cooling systems and the graphics card. Budget isn't really a problem at this point, though I'm not spending more than £80 on a case unless it's gorgeous...

Ideally I would have a small, tasteful looking case, with some sort of z68/p67 mATX motherboard. CPU cooling to be provided by one of those all-in-one water coolers (I have no experience with these). That's all pretty simple, but I would appreciate some suggestions.

Where it gets tricky is the graphics card. The MSI 580 I have is brilliant, but it makes a hell of a lot of noise and a solid amount of heat. It isn't a reference PCB as far as I know, so I suspect that takes most afterparty options off the table. If anyone knows of a way to make it quieter, or a newer graphics card with equivalent performance (760/770?) with better cooling I would like to know!

Thanks,

Bede

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

mITX board. Preferably Z97.

Case can depend on your personal taste.

And I've seen some really short profile 760 and to be honest, my 660Ti plays any game I throw at it at 1080 res using high (sometimes Ultra) settings.

Personally I'm getting a Corsair 250D and a Z97 mITX boards soon. Was going with Silverstone tower but 250D is gorgeous and easy to work with. (and accepts regular size PSU)

And Corsair H80i, athough if overclock isn't your thing, you can probably go with H60... probably? for smaller footprint.