1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA's nforce 500-series chipset

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 23 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

it all sounds to good to be true :D

3. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

i cant wait to get my hands on some of this new kit. I especially like the fact that AMD are now going single socket across the board, so i could get a full featured 590 SLI mobo, a low end CPU and wait until i can afford a better chip to complement it - without having to upgrade my board.

good article and very well explained here too.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Excellent article as always. And damnit I want one of these if they're as good as it sounds.
    But it's kind of annoying that I'll be able to afford one of those in 1-2 years or maybe later. Damn, I hate studying... let me get my exam and earn a shitload of money! :D
    3 more years though... :sigh:

5. Enforcer

Enforcer What's a Dremel?

Whens the due date for this? I may have to buy 2 of em, 1 Gaming/Development rig and 1 Server

Really Does sound far to ogood to be true, but seeing as how tech is growing bit mroe advanced every year i can imagine!

Don't Let me down Nvidia!

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Nice article. Hopefully, however, we'll see some working drivers this time...

7. Morpheon

Morpheon What's a Dremel?

I am afraid that if this all the green camp has in its corner to combat the upcoming conroe, my colors may have to change.....but I really really like AMD :sigh: :worried: :confused:

Last edited: 23 May 2006
  8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Why would nVidia want to combat conroe when they're bringing out a conroe version of this? Not sure why people are worried about the AM2 platform not being a conroe killer, AFAIK it's not intended to be, it's just a change to DDR2 like intel did with LG772 or whatever it's called (but when the DDR2 market is a bit more firmly in place and there are some decent timings on the modules), and if rumors are to be true about conroe, then AMD don't have much to be worried about anyway.

But anyway, I want one! Have you had a change to hear that fan? Is it a decent volume?

I'm guessing that nTune utility is like a BIOS on the desktop, so you can overclock without having to restart every 2 minutes to minutely change some setting? Thats the main reason why I can't be arsed to overclock.

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Looks very nice, perhaps afew too many options over which board/chip type to buy though - may confuse many consumers. Lets face it, everyone hear at bittech is gunna get a 590 board.

---------
    Azalia audio has me very excited.
    Currently NO soudncard in the market outputs sPDIF/RAW data via the sPDIF link. They instead decode the data first and then output it. If you have high end home AV kit like I do then it sucks, I'd rather the data was a raw output that my Amp/AV unit coudl decode it'self, ensuring the best quality. SoundStorm was able to do this as it was onboard and so could output sPDIF/RAW as there was no transfer to a soundcard first, hopefully 'Azalia' will do the same.

What all audiophiles have been waiting for.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Actually I guess everyone planning to upgrade in less than 3-5 years will get a 570/590 board to have the option to go SLI or go SLI immediately. But I don't see that big an advantage for 590 right now. Yea it sports more and better but the feature being put on top of the 'that's-what-you-won't-get-with-570'-list is 2x16 PCI-E and as far as I know there's no real difference between 2x8 and 2x16 performance-ly. No card ever got to x8 iirc.

11. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

It does affect the highest end cards slightly which is why its such an important feature for benchmarkers but apart from that there is no real difference. I don't ever plan to use SLI or xfire anyway so I'd prefer to have more dingle slot boards out there in the high end. Maybe we'll see those once more PCIe add on cards (x-fi, physx etc) and they have to give up the bandwidth to the smaller slots.

I liked the look of the Asus 590 board on OcUK now. It has the whole 9 yards as far as the features I want, including WiFi which would make it perfect in conjunction with one of the cheap sempys untill I can afford a better processor. Then i can set it up as a permanent rosetta rig wich would be great.

12. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

I'll be doing the conroe thing.. I read over at the INQ that conroe was displayed at e3 on a nforce 590.. so articles like this are of particular interest to me.

Great job on a very informative and interesting article (as always) bit-tech!

13. ContingenctPlan

ContingenctPlan What's a Dremel?

Hmm, so what am I gonna do with my A8N-32 SLi Deluxe :duh:

14. sl1xx

sl1xx What's a Dremel?

same i have an asus32 sli deluxe i think it is to soon for the 500 series it's not like am2 needs it !

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

nothing stopping you doing that now, tis how i usually do it
    test clock speeds to the point of crashing with clockgen and then set them in the bios when i've found the highest stable speed

seems ok, a lot of the stuff is pretty gimmicky/useless or only really of use to people that dont know how to already do it, the linkboost thing, teaming etc
    nice to see HD audio as standard now tho \o/

16. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

actually i belive the HDA X-Mystique does this. or at least it's close enough for me cause i love it

Tags: Add Tags