1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motoring question for a dummy

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 8 Sep 2013.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I came across this oddity and because I am not the brightest star in the sky I thought I would bring my theory to the good and great.

Rule 268 of the Highway Code states you must not "overtake on the left" but the same regulation says that you can undertake if all lanes are moving at the same speed.

Now here is my quandary apart from the obvious contradiction in the rule, if all lanes are moving at the same speed then surely it is impossible to either overtake or for that matter undertake.

An explanation is gratefully expected as my brain is beginning to hurt.

2. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Rule 268 says similar speeds, not the same speed.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Poor eyesight, what is meant by similar speeds then?

4. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

That particular bit only applies "In congested conditions" so just imagine when it looks like this:

[​IMG]

then it's legal to overtake on the left as everyone is likely to be going similar speeds.

I've no idea if the police would put a specific range on the speeds but if you're overtaking on the left, you probably know if it's legal or not.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

So the interpretation would be what is considered Marsiella speeds and I bet the police would have a different interpretation.

6. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Just out of interest, what do people do when they encounter a car doing 50-60 on the right hand lane of a dual carriageway? I sometimes end up passing them on the left but always feel odd doing it!

7. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I'll pass them on the left and make sure I make eye contact with them to show my disgust at them.

Yeah, although they would have to be pretty close to you to make any judgement on it.

8. defined

defined Botch-Job

i would usually stay behind them and flash/beep then maybe undertake and shout obscenities at them lol

if your not overtaking theres no need to be in the right hand lane

9. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Yep! What's really annoying is when you can tell they're annoyed you did it!

10. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Stay behind and flash lights heavily and honk your horn. You're only indicating your presence, after all. :D

11. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Another question in case anyone is in the know.

Was traveling south from Lancaster when all the matrix signs lit up saying 30, and animals in the road. Everyone slowed and soon I went past a police car with two officers looking like the had just finished chasing something of the carriageway. At this point a BMW shot past at easily 80 if not more, and the two officers sprinted to the car and raced off after the BMW.

What do people reckon would happen to the driver? Points? Loss of license?

12. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

With relation to the undertaking I tend to take the rule as its ok to pass on the left in 2 conditions.
    1) - everyone is using similar speeds and there is no need for people to merge
    2) - you haven't moved left to do so, I.e. you have joined the motorway in the slow lane and travelling at the same speed as the slow lane you undertake the middle lane etc. Because you have not approached and then moved left to undertake then it is fine.

As to the BMW he will likely get done for speeding and also driving without due care. So more than likely 6 points + fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

13. RTT

RTT #parp

A jolly good rogering :waah:

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Can't be done for speeding without evidence - chances are a DWDCA if they're feeling harsh, but probably a bollocking.

15. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Can the onboard camera not show a speed obviously higher than 30? i.e. the time it takes to pass know distance like barrier supports.

16. Krikkit

It could probably be calculated with some hard work, but generally they're more interested in what they can quickly ticket you for at the scene, unless you've done something mental.

17. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Fair enough. Yet another question. Has anyone ever noticed that some big saloons just seem to drive well above the limit with apparent impunity. How are they so confident they will not be caught!

18. Krikkit

Generally they just keep a beady eye out for marked cars and keep it under 95-or-so. Trafpol are so rare these days you can see them a mile off, and unmarked cars won't do anything until you're well over the limit.

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

With the BMW and matrix sign post earlier, it depends heavily on the sign, if it has a red circle around it, then it means it is enforced speed limit. If it only had flashing lights around it, it just means caution, the speed displayed is not enforced.

So I think the BMW will just get a telling off, unfortunately.

On a related note to undertaking, when are they going to start fining those people who hogs the middle lane?

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Well, they can technically do so right now, but I'm still struggling how they're going to enforce it or come up with evidence. Follow drivers for miles and then get in to an argument about judgement calls?