1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News VIA OQO UMPC can really play games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 12 Jun 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Pretty sweet... If only the Vista was a bit more compatible with older games and you could use Vista instead of XP, but in time compatibility will improve...
    Wonder if it could handle Sim City 4... on low low settings?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Might do, that's the kind of game you could kill hours on one of those things (providing you have a plug socket :D)

I've requested one from VIA for review, for a month, so we'll see.

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I'm surprised Quake 3 and HL are being classed as "Retro classics" as in all honesty I thought "retro" was generally a tile given to items of around 20 years in age.
    Oh well.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Agreement, Biosniper.

Reminds me of my old Psion 5mx. Ah, good days. :D

6. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

ooh.. one of those would be nice..
    Anything on when they'll be avalible?

7. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

Hey we can now have some portable Quake death matches any where that you can get the internet :clap: forgt lan parties, now we can have where ever you want parties :D
    Also there must be a wider range of games that can be played on the OQO model 02.
    I still have the problem with the EVDO/WWAN conection only comming from Sprint and Verizon right now. I'm in Canada and I use TELUS so I would have to work out some kind of activation with them :wallbash: At least the WiFi will work in most cities :rock:

8. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

You can buy them already from expansys

9. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

So basically t'is an overpowered PDA/Cell Phone/Etc, or an underpowered mini laptop? Pretty cool, tbh.

10. ./^\.Ace./^\.

I wouldn't say uder powered :D I will run Windows Vista ultimate, that need a good amount of processing power :D

11. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

have one :rock:
    I guess there are benefits to being in the US after all ;)

it plays Sim City 4 quite nicely, and even manages supcom (low settings)

I'm in fact writing on here and can say that its a nice beast, but not meant for FPS action on the go. As far as the mobile broadband goes, I didn't bother with it, too expensive :wallbash: but the availablility of Wi-fi (and the fact that almost no one remembers to secure theirs) over here makes it easy to connect.

for those looking for ways to get the games going on the go with laptops without using the CD drive (and massive battery loss) use daemon tools, copy the disc and mount it from the HDD.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This is what I told VIA(Arena); as soon as hotspots and WiMAX prevail things like that will be all the rage with twittering and blogging on the go.

13. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

From 1500 USD and up.. :(

14. ./^\.Ace./^\.

In downtown Toronto you can find a free WiFi hot-spot on almost every street corner. Peolpe just don't secure there WiFi like they should :D
    I have a question though :confused: what is the WiFi range like with the OQO's antenna :confused:

15. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

excellent, it picks up on a linksys 54G router signal even through 3 cinderblock walls, at about 3/4 the max distance, but still gets full speed. my freind's Vaio won't even see the router at the same location. :lol:

16. riggs

riggs ^_^

Hehe, so true! Although I couldn't afford a 5 series, so went for a Revo...still a damn good machine though. Think I've still got it somewhere...

This thing looks damn nice, if a little pointless for most folk. I'd buy one, but only if I had vast amounts of cash to spare.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

to expensive for my pocket, but it owns!!!!!! :D

18. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

ive had the pleasure of actually trying one myself, and i must say that its a great product. The screen is a little small and a little dark, but with a few adjustments, the lighting can be improved. It is faster than my parents dell p4 2.4 ghz and is extremely light and lives up to the name of UMPC.

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

looks cool and interesting... but I had very very bad experience with Via products... specially for mobo's. Never latest more then 3 months and all I had was sever BIOS issues. So, personally I don't know about this....

20. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Mm. I ended up going for a 5, despite the extra cost... the keys were so much better, and they were actually a half-decent size considering the overall size of the Psion. I was so annoyed when the ribbon cable got damaged and all it gave me was a corrupt screen! And Psion wanted over £400 to repair it! I think not - it cost me less than that! ;)

Tags: Add Tags