1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Titan X Official Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 19 Mar 2015.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

So now that Nvidia have launched this new beast of a card, at a ridiculous price. The performance of this card is awesome! In the video below, you will see the Titan X in some cases running faster than 2 GTX 980 SLI. So when you start to see this performance from a single card, the price starts to slowly justify itself.

Now, I'm am very tempted to buy a couple in the coming months, and watercool them. But if/when I drop that amount of money on these cards, I don't intend to plan to upgrade for a couple of yrs, to justify the cost.

Scaling in 3DMark:

[​IMG]

Power Draw Load:

[​IMG]

Multi GPU Benchmarks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So if you're an early adopter who wants to show off your epeen :D - Or someone who just likes to drool over the thought of owning one, feel free to post your envy, or hatred in here. :D

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'd love one, but I only game at 1080p so I think the 980 will suffice for several years :p

On an unrelated note, I love how linear all of the scaling is with these high-end Maxwell cards, both in terms of performance and power draw. It's a shame the price doesn't scale in such a linear fashion (taking the 970 as a starting point)!

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I will have 2 potentially within a few weeks, otherwise it will be a around 2 months or so.

These will work out quite nicely with a 4K monitor and games using stupid amounts of Vram at 1080p now.

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Fair enough, and your GTX 980 will be fine at that resolution for many years. :)

I still remember paying £290 for a GTX 280, so why prices have nearly doubled for a high end card, I don't know...

Cool, well I'm buying the Philips 40" 4K monitor at the end of the month when it comes into stock. Then I will work a few more hours to then grab a couple of Titan X through my company (As I need them for doing spread sheets! 2D is very demanding!!!) Then I can at least claim the VAT back. :)

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Just do some 3D graphs and claim you needed the raw power of 6,144 shaders...

Agreed on the pricing increases over the years, although I seem to recall I didn't get much change out of £400 for my 8800GTX, and my 980 only cost me £415. I expect the huge economic downturn in the interim as well as some competition from AMD might have pushed flagship prices down a bit.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Wish I could do that.

If your going to get a 4K monitor and use the Display Port from that monitor just make sure that you buy a spare incase you run in to the issues, I have with my Asus one in which at random times when I boot the pc up it will not display anything on the monitor and receives no signal, pull the power on the monitor and plug it back in and it will display no problem.

Never have this issue though with my Xbox One on the Asus monitor though, it's only when I am using my pc on it.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Pretty good isn't it. I like the bit where they've put 'don't call us' cause you know they'd pull a fair few people in.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Guys, I just had to drop in and check that this was the 'official' thread?

Can anyone confirm?

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Who'd have thought that true_gamer might buy 2 Titan X gfx cards? I'm so totally surprised.

.... :thumb: Do it. :thumb:

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

If it involves true_gamer messing about with a Titan X Bios then that would make this an official Titan X thread!

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

By hook or by crook I will have two of these before long. Whether that means the 980s will be on the MP, or back with EVGA who knows.

I cannot see the Titan X having a worthy replacement for a long time tech-wise, and the VRAM is enticing. With my 4k display I see the limitation of the 980's 4096MB impacted in a number of games.

Looking forward to their arrival!

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Perfect! - May include HalfLife 3 too!!! :D

It sure is, as People from other forums have to post here regarding the Titan X too! :D

Well usually its 3 or 4 cards. But even I can't stretch to spending £3600 on the cards, and then watercooling them too. I might be crazy, but we all have our limits... :D

Sounds good, and of course! It wouldn't be me without modding the bios. :D

15. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

[​IMG]

My favorite Titan X graph, looking mighty crippled for a $999 card, and pretty embarassing to be beaten by a 5 year old consumer card :p

Last edited: 22 Mar 2015
  16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Who here actually cares about computer performance? (ok, apart from folders)

Are you just jealous? Its ok man, I can't afford one either.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2015
  17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Well, that graph has certainly opened my eyes. Was all set to drop a grand on one of these just to run folding at home, but now I'm concerned that that would be ridiculous... :rolleyes:

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Yeah, they took out anything good for folding and replaced it with stuff for gaming :thumb:

19. rollo

rollo Modder

If I needed the performance id buy 1-2 but can't justify it at 1080p. When / if I go 4k you never know.

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

That's a Double Precision (AKA FP64) benchmark. GM200 (compared to Kepler) has most of it's double-precision hardware lopped off in favour of more die area for FP32. Notice how the Titan X (and the 980 & 970) is rated for 1/32 DP, whereas the Titan and Titan Black are 1/3 DP? All that freed up die area is used for SP gubbins:
    [​IMG]

If you're doing double-precision compute tasks, stick with Kepler. If you;re doing single-precision tasks (gaming, NN training, etc) than GM200 is a noticeable boost. Get the right card for your workload.