1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Surface in homes within three years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

sure... let the man invent a sensor that small that costs the same as an LED then... or is he waiting for someone else to do it?

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Even if they invent such a thing, I'm still trying to figure out what you're going to do with it. Ok, you have a giant horizontal touchscreen display that can not be used as a coffee table at the same time. Strikes me as a technology driven by what's possible rather than filling a need.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The idea behind Surface was as more than a touchscreen - after all, we can do that right now with current technology.

The idea was that by combining sensors, cameras, near-field communication and RFID you could interact with both the table and the items on it. Stick your coffee cup on it, for example, and it *knows* it's a coffee cup - which might mean that it disables incoming e-mail alerts until you've finished relaxing.

The idea went further than that: stick you 'phone on the table, and it syncs with Surface. Touch the table and see all your photos; browse through them and 'swipe' the ones you want to keep over to your PC or external hard drive.

Surface was to be a lot more than a flat touchscreen, but I fear that the message has got lost along the way.

5. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

make it a flexible actually roll up screen for a reasonable price (say $1000) and I'll buy one, I really want to play Catan on Surface :D

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

anyone who has watched bill gates' unveiling or the D&D version for surface must surely want one of these.

7. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

atleast they know its the price that is holding it down, honestly with any technology price is always the primary hold up. lol

8. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Isn't the R.U.S.E table something like that? A friend of mine has one and tried to play FPS on it, it was weird btw lool

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I think it's cool as f**k and I would love to have one, if I could afford it

BTW is there any pricing available at this time?

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Seems like a great Idea that wont be good enough till Steve Jobs puts the "Apple finishing" on it. Like what Apple did with touch screen phones. The tech is great but only if you have the software to back it up!!!

11. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

If any of you have a real shiny granite kitchen surface, go clean it, give it a polish and then stand back and imagine that hugely reflective granite surface is one massive touch surface.

Imagine playing Ruse ...

Then imagine your partner comes over with a saucepan, puts it down on the touch surface and literally squashes most of your armies ...

Anyway, collecting and sending my emails via granite surface ... Yes please.

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

That is the first thing I've heard that seems entertaining on this sort of tech.

It's not quite the same thing, but this does look like a practical application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVD_Lvv4UOI&feature=player_embedded#!

Notice how big the buttons have to be in order to hit them with our fat human fingers instead of the precision afforded by a mouse.

13. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I always thought of surface more in a business sense. I imagine going to a coffee shop, sitting down at the surface table, the menu you would pop up along with the weather or news or similar widget type apps, maybe it would sync with your phone to remember who you are and pop up what you ordered last.

Now if you had a business client, you would both place your phones on the table and it would swap electronic business cards. maybe you could pop up some photos or a document on product or whatever.

That's what I envisioned,
    also good for playing games and such. I honestly think it will be a reality in a few years as the technology comes down in place and developers create a standardized platform for the technology.

Honestly everything I just said could be done on a scaled up version of an Ipad quite easily. The computer hardware doesn't need to be extremely powerful, I'm guessing the display hardware is the costly part.

Also I don't see how this fits too much into a home besides being a static version of an ipad. Although i could see it encorporated into a kitchen counter when the prices come down.

Tags: Add Tags