1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Am I part of the problem?

Discussion in 'General' started by boiled_elephant, 18 Dec 2011.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I haven't been on bit-tech much lately (combination of work and broadband problems) but based on Mankz's departure thread, I wanted to make a quick appeal for general opinions about me, as a member.

There's a general unwritten rule on bit-tech that says that we can't openly make character attacks; unforunately, a lot of us do not get on, because we're a broad group. So all that happens instead is we all make snide insinuations about disliking each other without mentioning names or getting too blunt. Mankz's departure thread was full of this. I don't know why we're so indirect: the mods won't (I don't think) ban you for just openly criticizing someone's general attitude and conduct, or for flat-out saying you dislike them, so long as your language is decent. The website isn't called Nice-Tech, and there is a difference between abuse and constructive criticism.

I know that I've rubbed some people up the wrong way, and that I've stirred things up on occasion. But I can't tell how many people or how many occasions. So I wanted to appeal for feedback: do people consider me a negative or disruptive contributor, or disapprove of some/all of my activity on the forums?

I know this is a pretty lame, sycophantic, attention-seeking thread, and that it's very likely to turn burst into flames and be closed within the day. But it might be at least a little bit constructive first, if I can get just a couple of honest replies before the close, because it's really hard to tell what people make of you on here. I'm not going to pretend I don't care what this community thinks of me, because if I'm honest bit-tech is pretty important to me - however sad that may sound. If I'm a general pain in the arse on the forums, I'd want to know.

And I also want to quickly take the time to publicly apologise for making the first demot thread. Like most people, I see it as a contributing factor to the decline and channification of the tone of the forums, and I regret it. I had no idea what I was doing at the time.

BRAWL and Unicorn like this.
  2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I don't know, if only because most of the replies you've given were for the most part quite informative and detailed. I'd say that you can't really pin the blame on just one person. There's many factors.

3. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

I'm not sure, either.

There definitely is a slight air of sarcasm around here.

How we decide to act upon it is the main factor.

4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

First of all: don't be hard on yourself for starting a thread. By no means is it your fault that other people have run afoul with it, generating somewhat questionable behaviour, and attracting those that may not contribute towards the general theme of the site as a whole. However, my personal opinion on it is that if people are talking, communicating, and exchanging ideas - no matter how inane or silly they may be - then it can only be considered a positive. After all, it is not like regular contributors or readers of said thread distinctly plan out actions to the detriment of the rest of the forums, it just naturally happens (if you want to argue that their actions are detrimental in the first place, that is) by the actions of their personality exemplified and poured out over the rest of the forums.

None of this is your fault. Rather: take heart in the fact that you've opened a dialogue between those that otherwise mightn't have had place in a way not otherwise explored within this forum.

As to the question of how you are perceived on this forum, I can only speak for myself (obviously), but I do thoroughly enjoy your presence, particularly within the SD side of things, as your opinions and contributions always serve to make me think and research where I mightn't have done so otherwise. It honestly wouldn't be the same without you.

Now that I've stroked your ego sufficiently, I will also add that I agree with the sentiment of the rest of your post, in that far too many people deflect (or just don't articulate) what they want to say, particularly about other people. We're adults here (usually, anyway), so why can we not act like it? Feelings will get hurt, yes, but getting up from such is the only way to grown or learn, so I would more than welcome a few scathing critiques of things I post (and have quite openly accepted such in the past). Go ahead, sling some mud! It's fun! Provided what you say is worded such that it doesn't come across as a personal attack, but a critique of what the other has posted, otherwise you're a bit of a ****.

5. October

October Mariachi Style

I vote positive, if only because I've been reading your SSCO thread and am now itching to try them out. And I enjoyed the first demote thread, I won't deny it brought me here but I think that has led to some generally positive posting habits and me getting some excellent help and advice, I certainly harbour no ill will toward it!

6. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

You seem like a top notch character to me :thumb:

7. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I dislike you but I don't remember why exactly.

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

The very fact that you ask probably means you're not part of the problem.

lp1988 likes this.
  9. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

No you are not a part of the problem, I do not always agree with you however if I were to dislike everyone I didn't agree with I would be living in a cave in the forest. you seem to consider what you write and just from that there is really no basis for "hating" anyone. Any well considered and honest post is a good thing, and regardless if one does not agree one should never hate the person behind it.

It is far more interesting to have someone around that gives other perspectives, if we didn't we would be a bunch of ego stroking *******s.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah, at least your not a kiss butt

nexxo likes his butt kissed, so you have to do that.. but the rest of them get the man cave

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Nice knowing you hippoz!

As for elephant, I don't see a problem. If someone gets offended on the internet then they probably don't belong on the internet anyway.
    I follow the local radio stations on facebook and whenever I find someone who can't take a joke posting on their wall I just attack them without mercy. Pisses them off, but again. If you can't take a joke, get off the internet!
    You are all here for my entertainment! now dance puppets dance!

mvagusta likes this.
  12. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I think Mankz just got a little bored, and started to pay attention to things other than his interests.

This is a good thing, and I encourage everyone to do a little of this, whenever they see fit.
    If this forum was full of polite BS artists that never expressed their honest opinions, I would never have created an account.

Whoa, take it easy dude! Another way to look at it, is that considering how much freedom of expression was allowed in that thread, how popular it was, how long it took for things to get out of hand, and most importantly, how many lol's were had, I'd say that the demote thread wasn't so bad.

To apologize for creating it, would be apologizing for putting smiles on thousands of bit-techer's faces. Sure a few nasty things happened in between all the lols, that just makes you guilty of not being able to create a lol thread, which could guarantee no risk of anyone being offended.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

You're not part of any problem. The only bad thing you have done since you registered here is apologize for making the demote thread. This thread was the greatest thing ever.

I wrote a much longer post than this but decided to just delete the rest as I don't really care to talk about this. I stop on the forum on a daily basis to check my threads of interest (you know the ones) and that's okay. No need to get emotional. We will all lose track of each other at one time or another

14. Psycho

Psycho Average

I'll be honest, that thread was the reason I joined this forum to begin with. I bet there are more like me here.

15. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

NO! you're awesome :rock: and you're a legend for creating that thread!

16. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

People will disagree, sometimes it gets a bit heated and the thread gets closed, no big deal.

It's such a diverse community, I got a slightly rude comment once because some poster thought I said something stupid about windows, well excuse me we're not all system admins or peeps doing science degrees some of us are just average joes.

But you will get banter in the general section, if you can't take the heat then stay out the kitchen.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

frankly i just don't care, (well maybe a little or why would i have posted this??)

I miss Mankz and his private school up bringing which no doubt saved him as he slapped the bus with his passport in a very British manor, however end up picking to big of a fight and became a bionic fapper.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

What problem?

I think people get a bit too serious on forums. Sure from time to time everyone can write something that rubs people the wrong way but seriously, it's a forum, we can surely all move on by the next post or by the next day?

In the past I have taken a break from forums though, nothing wrong with that. It can be very refreshing.

As for Mankz, didn't realise he'd left. There are so many members on this forum it's hard to keep track of who says what, when, to whom and when they come/go.

I think another factor is that alot of us are from many different cultures/countries all over the world, one thing said one way in one place may not mean the same, or be taken in the same way as another member somewhere else in the world.

When you think of it like that we do outstandingly well compared to the EU or UN. :lol:

19. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

The threads ive seen you posting in where they have derailed massively have not been because of you, but rather some other negative elements in bit.

AFAIK you seem alright!

20. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

The demote thread is the best thing about this place!