1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Epson Printer Resetting rip off still going on!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShinyAli, 19 Nov 2012.

1. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Watching the BBC Watchdog program today there a was a story about Epson Printers timing out after so many prints and Epson wanting £100 to "service" the printer and reset it.
    I read about the Epson Printer Resetting rip off years ago but did not know it was still happening and it seems it now affects all Epson printers, does this affect any other makes of printers, it's never happened to the HP or Canon printers I've had?

There has been software available for years that you can d/load and reset your Epson printer yourself but according to the BBC program when they contacted Epson about this issue they said that there is official Epson software available to d/load to reset your printer but it is only available to the USA, Epson's vague reply to why the software is not available in the UK was that it might contravene legal regulations :confused:

I was just surprised that this was still happening to Epson printers and how it can be legal and not infringing a buyer/consumers rights in some way, I can't think of any other products that shut down and need money spent to get them working again when there is really nothing wrong with them :miffed:

2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

My car? Seems to do it quite often.

3. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Your car stops after a certain number of miles? Never :p

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, but my Skoda would flash up on the dash when it needed servicing. And if you don't service your car, then, well, it might stop after a certain number of miles.

Printers are mechanical beasts and thus also need servicing. However this decision should be left to the consumer, not Epson. I think there is a bit of a rip-off going on there.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

So stupid, picked up an SX440 for less than £100. Tesco/Asda do cheap printers (often cheaper than the cost of ink for said printer) while its a shame to be so wasteful, why pay for "servicing" or more ink if a new printer works out cheaper?

6. ShinyAli

Yes, exactly, this Epson issue has been going on for years and I can't help but think that Epson use it as a form of scare mongering for those that maybe are not that computer savvy and believe the Epson bulls*** like it's needs servicing or it might develop an electrical problem and burst into flames :miffed:

7. OctoInk

OctoInk What's a Dremel?

This thread has cropped up because a couple of my customers have pinged me about the Watchdog report and this thread with it.

Ok, first up, I have a vested interest in the subject so taking with pinch of salt in dead sea proportions optional. However, I did want to highlight what resources are available (not all are commercial).

First up, there are numerous reset utilities available if you know where to look and one in particular (which is commercial) is the WICReset. I mention this purely because it deals with the newer printers.

Secondly, newer printers have drop out tank designs where pads can be replaced... Epson isn't highlighting this at all but with a reset and replacement pad material you can DIY. Older machines tend to have access hatches or modifications that can be done to redirect waste to external waste tanks. Again these tanks can be DIY or one of the "kits" available on eBay or elsewhere.

Now the following links are useful in providing additional information including installation guides, greater detail on the problem, etc... and while there are commercial links DIY is still an option if you want.

General blog, installation guides, info, etc...
    http://www.wasteink.co.uk/

Description of the "Service required" and solutions. FAQ area is not restricted.
    http://www.octoinkjet.co.uk/waste/ (Note: this is a commercial site)

Frankly I view one less printer in the landfill as a win for common sense...

Note: To moderators, apologies if this heads over line... obviously delete/amend as appropriate

8. ShinyAli

Thanks very much for your reply and very useful information.
    The main problem with this issue of Epson printers "Timing out" is that many people just won't have the skill to sort out the problem themselves which is exactly what Epson want.

I don't know if this happens with other printer brands but so far I have not been able to find any reference to it other than Epson, it's just a really underhand, sneaky thing to do in my opinion, I wonder how many people would still have bought their Epson printer if it was made clear on the box that if you live in the UK "This printer will stop working and need expensive servicing after so many prints"?

9. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

I suspect my Epson has timed out, and the damned thing did it two days before leaving to go on holiday and I needed to print my boarding passes. Quick trip to Tesco to pick up a replacement :/

10. ShinyAli

If it has timed out and you still have it you should be able to "revive" it with the software from here.

Handy as a spare printer :)

11. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Kyocera's will flag up that they need a service but won't stop working, they'll just display a message on the screen for all too see (and constantly ring you about :grr:).

There's also a bug in some Brother Lasers which means they have to be reset. The counter for the No. of prints doens't always reset when the toner is changed so there's a short process of button presses you have to go through to reset the counter.

Epson are the only printer company I've heard of to do it in such a way which stops the printer functioning at all, though.