1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux slow samba download speeds on LAN with win 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by FaIIen, 31 Jan 2016.

1. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

hello

i'm experiencing extremely slow speeds (1,2mb/sec) on standard 100mbps LAN when copying files from my local file server over ethernet to my windows pc. I'm kinda buffled, I looked everywhere over the net and tried different things without any improvement to my initial speed, any ideas?

client machine is windows 8.1
    server is ubuntu 14.04 with samba v4.1.6 (share filesystem is ext3 mounted as samba share)

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, it's not like you would get much more from a 100mbit LAN. That would reach 5-6MB/s in best case scenario. You are also not saying what kind of data, big files or lot of small ones ?

3. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

i'm testing with 1gb file

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

10MB/s, actually. 100Mb/s theoretical max equates to just shy of 90Mb/s actual throughput, which equates to around 11.25MB/s less overhead. I can easily transfer files to 100Mb/s-connected clients at 10MB/s - I've just been doing exactly that from my desktop to a Raspberry Pi, via SSH.

5. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

The first step in diagnosing this would be to try transferring the other way, from the Windows machine to the Linux one.
    Next, introduce a third client, and try transferring to and from both the Windows machine and the Ubuntu server.
    Also, try different ethernet cables if you can. Possibly you've got a bad cable/connector. If you're going through a switch/hub/router you might try a crossover cable direct between the two machines to rule out the networking equipment in between.
    It might also be worth try a different way of copying the files such as FTP or SCP. That would tell you if you have a messed up samba config.

6. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

well i found the problem. I was really stupid to put the power line ethernet adapter (i'm using a pair of these to avoid wifi usage) on the power extension plug instead having it directly on the wall plug. As a result I was getting 1/10 of the speed during file copying and basically everything else.

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Ah, powerline ethernet, if you'd mentioned that I think we'd have guessed earlier ;)