1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Sims turns 10 years old

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Would it have sold as well if they sold it under it's original name I wonder? Dollhouse.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

yeah but with that title comes expectations of blowing them up with fireworks

4. livenoise

livenoise Virgin Modstar

110 millions bits? So that's 13750000 bytes... only 13Mb of stuff has been downloaded... is that all? ;oP

5. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

+rep? on second thoughts, i don't want to encourage you.

6. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

I could never understand what draws people to Sims. I find them absolutely useless and boring.

7. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

It's 6 year old girls who get attracted to this. Or like my ex, she'd recreate her friends and family. Then get bored and uninstall the game. A few months later, come back and recreate everyone. Then get bored (repeat ad nauseum)...

8. Kronenbourg1664

Kronenbourg1664 Minimodder

10 years and not a single good game yet. Just goes to show that with enough money the advertising view can sell people not only their own feaces but also the entire gross feaces of all the cows in India.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I enjoyed it back in the day but it's gotten a bit ridiculous now.

Sims 2 was a good build on the franchise, even if it was partly just a set up so they could re-release a load of expansion packs from the first game, but the third game, the third was pretty terrible IMO.

10. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

The last good sim game was Sim City 2000.

11. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

I would like a Sim City 5 that plays true to the history of the series. None of that Sim City Societies junk.

12. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Sims is such a rubbish thing. If you want to have that kind of life, try to go out side for a second, it might suprise you

13. praxis22

praxis22 Geek

This is one of those topics where somebody asks a question and almost everyone responds with, "but why..." etc.

How comes the delete key doesn't work right in OSX (It does, get used to it)
    How can can you enable rsh in UNIX/Linux (why not use SSH?)
    I'm moving to X as Y sucks (please stay/you suck)

Given the bulk of the user base is female I suspect that if it were called "Dollhouse" it would have sold more initially. I've been playing it for most of that 10 years, though it would be more honest to say I've been watching sims walk about in the houses I build for them and telling to clean up after themselves and do their homework, for 9.5 years, and actually playing the game for maybe 6 months, if that.

You may equally ask why so few people play FPS games online, at least compared to the 125 Mn sims games sold/played.

Tags: Add Tags