1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling corsair h80 noise issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by echo three, 12 May 2012.

1. echo three

echo three What's a Dremel?

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Just a tip, it helps if you turn off background TV if you're trying to record a noise ;)

I had a H80 that made a similar noise - it's either the pump or trapped air bubbles. I ended up sending mine back and getting a new one.

3. echo three

Yeah I have a feeling its the bearings as it sort of like a low rumbling noise, difficult to be sure as he lives miles away and I'm trying help via text message. I'll tell him to turn the TV off next time he records a vid ;)

4. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

I bought an H80 last week, got it installed and it sounded like a hard drive constantly seeking. I took it back to Scan and got another, now its a faint high pitched whine, i can live with it tho. I changed the fans too, the ones supplied are very noisy.

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I have a khuler one one of my rigs and it has a faint rumble.

Try laying the case on its back for a bit or even upseide down to try and get the air into the rad.

If that doesnt work then rma the sucker.

6. boltonuk007

Iam now on my third

7. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Didn't I read somewhere that Corsair have admitted to having problems with their pumps recently?

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, my Kuhler used to have a slight rumble, but it was inaudible outside the case.

9. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

It was me who mentioned that corsair had problems with the H60, H80, and H100. I bought a H80 and the pump was making grinding noises like it had bubbles stuck in it so after some testing, laying it on the side, shaking the pump nothing worked. So I returned e unit for another and the same thing happened again I returned it for a 3rd unit and yet again the same thing happened. So I decided to do a bit of research to see if it's a common problem and low and behold it was. The latest batches have this issues and Corsair on their forum have admitted to the problem and have found the source of e problem. They are in process of getting the new batches out to replace the old batches. So if you have one of the above where the pump is making noises you can RMA it to corsair or return it to where you bought it from to have it replaced. Personally I would contact Corsair and get it RMA'd as you will know that you will get one of the new ones.

Here's the forum with the details

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=101677

Edit: I changed my H80 to a Antec Khuler H2O 920and I've never been happier it is sooooo quiet and it cools better then the H80

10. echo three

Yeah my friend gave up and swapped to an antec one, I've stuck with my faulty h100 as its only the fan controller that doesn't work properly, could RMA it but its fine running the fans through my cases fan controller so I'm not to bothered.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

My Ek DCP 4.0 pumps can grind for a while after filling the loop if there are bubbles. It can take some hours for the bubbles to disappear. I have no experience of these 2 piece systems so I don't know how common it is for them to make a noise after install. Problem is with these systems you can't see the liquid inside to determine if bubbles are present. It may be a useful test for him to unscrew the rad from the case and rotate it while the pump is running to get an idea if bubbles are the cause.

12. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I tried all that with my units, I spent a whole night (literally) trying to get rid of air bubbles but to no avail. After a few minutes it would start making the same noise

13. boltonuk007

My third started making the noise so I rang Scan up, they told me that Corsair had sorted the problem by fitting a resistor, was told that my next would not have the same problem. Went down to Scan, the guy at the counter said they were out of stock and said "hang on, let me see if I can get something else". I thought he meant an alternative, after 10 mins he came back and said he had found one. Got it home, turned it on, same problem!! I reckon he just gave me an old one. Im so angry at the moment, I love the product, it cools really well, I just hope next time I get the revised product otherwise it will be bye bye Corsair Im afraid.