1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Warhammer 40,000 license goes to Slitherine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 15 Mar 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Looks to be a dreadful choice. Swap out one of the best PC devs out there (Relic) for a company that's never made a AAA game before. Just look at its website; it's incredibly amateurish and looks like it was knocked together by a 6th former in an afternoon. http://www.slitherine.com/

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry, who are masters of their genre ?
    There are ?

It's a sad end to the great Warhammer 40,000 series :waah:

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Baz, they're only handling turn-based. From what I understand, Relic still hold their Dawn of War licence.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

in alternative news - Gryphondor came along and said ` wtf pwn j00 nubs`

6. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

We demand more information on Siltherine. David Hing, your job now is to go and interview them. Find out what they want to do. Don't leave us on the edge here. We all thought we could have ended up with a 40k Total War style game....so go on, get a move on.

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

On the one hand I'm happy some *might* have a role in turn based 40k....on the other hand who the f*ck are Slitherine!?

Shoulda taken the turn based game to Firaxis. Imagine that. X-Com styled 40k (I cream my pants thinking about it)

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Only ever played it as tabletop. All stuff that was done for PC with this franchise was horrible imho.

Sororitas Cheesecake!

9. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

And as Relic are now owned by Sega rather than THQ they may never make one again :(

10. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Before folk get their knickers in a twist, the chances of Games Workshop turning down the colossal amount of money and publicity that Dawn of War etc earns them is zilch. I suspect GW will be able to license its own franchise more than once for different projects...

As it sounds like Slitherine will be working on a turn based strategy game, I'm hoping we see a modern version of Final Liberation, or even a virtual version of the table-top game. Would certainly be cheaper...

11. rollo

rollo Modder

likely hood is we will see a mac and ipad version made of the game, As thats what this company is more known for ipad and mac games.

Guess Sega did not bid enough to get the deal.

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Totally agree, but I'd be happier seeing an IP that I love handled by some big experts who could give the game the polish it deserves.

I'll give Slitherine a chance, they could produce something special.

13. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

What the ****?!

This has literally left me open mouthed with shock. Sell your license to a company nobody know, who will produce games that nobody will buy after the reviews will inevitably pan them to death.

In comparison to Relic, the greatest (imo) RTS company and Sega, who now also own the second greatest RTS dev.

After Games Workshop trying to sue for the name 'Space Marine', and now this, they're really starting to piss me off with these awful decisions.

EDIT: Yes i'm jumping to conclusions, so sue me (Hope GW don't read this)

14. rollo

rollo Modder

they dont have a choice who they sell the licence too thom thq are broke. highest bidder wins.

15. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I'm pretty sure they (GW) had a choice.

Depending on stipulations, i'm guessing they would get a cut of profits based on number of games sold, in which case Games Workshop made an awful choice.

Unless, like you said, it was a straight up bid with absolutely no interest in the games themselves.

16. djab

djab What's a Dremel?

Sega owns Creative Assembly, the developers of the Total War series.
    I sure they would know how to make a good 40K strategy game.

slitherine, they may be good at table top style games ... but I never heard of them, never heard of the sellers games on there website.

I am all for encouraging inde studio but I guess GW just chose them to try to grab a slice of the mobile gaming market with the 40K brand.

I just hope that other studios are also working on 40K games.

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'd love to have a virtual replication of the table top game. Huge market GW is missing out on imo, to someone who is really into the hobby owning and building models is still a large part of the experience, but having a cheaper virtual option allows a much wider range of players to get in on the experience.

Unfortunately, the chances of that happening are slim which makes me wonder: just what kind of turn based game could they make? Most likely something with similar but largely modified gameplay and a 40k setting to sell more copies. Not too exciting.

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Original Warhammer 40k tabletop for the iPad in 3d would be awesome!

19. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I'm not entirely sure a 40k virtual tabletop game would be successful in the slightest really.

The people that would want that, probably have a decent enough army to play a match for real.
    People that don't have armies can use ones that are at GW stores.
    The only market I see this appealing to are the ones that don't want to cart their models around with them to a tourny/match.

The whole appeal of the Relic games, as I see it, is that they created a far more dynamic aspect that just can't be recreated through a tabletop game or a virtual representation.

Yes, the civ series is very succesful as a video-game turnbased franchise, but I just don't see it taking off for Warhammer, brand name prestige or not.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2013
  20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Was exposed to Slitherine via Panzer Corps, they kep it close to the classic Panzer General feel but added some interesting mechanics to it.
    Wait to see.

Tags: Add Tags