1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Looking for a Job, where to look?

Discussion in 'General' started by GiGo, 26 Oct 2015.

1. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

So in the next year or so I plan on selling my business and 'retiring', over the last decade or so I have made good decisions in my finances which will give me a 'basic wage' (ie will pay my mortgage but not much else) but I will need a job!

Having been self employed for the last 12/13 years I have no idea on where to go to look for a job etc....

Does anyone have any good places to look for a job? All the Google search places seem to come up with 'nothing much'.

Also what's this thing with Job Seekers Allowance? After spending so much money paying my taxes I feel like I want to claim some back :lol: how does one claim JSA? Can you claim it if you still have an income from property and investments etc....?

Any helpful advice and tips is appreciated :)

Regards
    GiGo

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Wouldn't it make more sense to find a job and then close the business? Signing on is a miserable experience.

4. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Cheers for the responses :)

I'm used to being looked down on, I work with the general public :lol:

I'm not closing the business, I will be selling it, which in it's self can take a while, plus working 12hr days kind of limit's you to what job you can get before selling it.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

**** the big sites, places like reed/indeed are pretty damn useless. i had great success with a small place called recruitment genius. within 3 weeks of using them i landed a sweet ass job.

6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I signed up to every possible site out there. Be prepared for spam mail coming out your ears.

First port of call is take a look at your CV polish that bad boy to perfection before you go about anything certain sites will ask you to upload a CV during registration, if you think it looks great now ask someone else.
    Pass it around a few people before you commit to sending it out. Keep the relevant info in and take the clutter out, My CV used to be a good couple minutes of sifting through the clutter to actually see the relevant information an employer wanted.

Employers read hundreds of CVs so its important to make yours stand out :thumb:

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'd sack off any ideas of using recruitment sites and work through your own network of professional contacts.

Assuming you want to continue to work in a similar sector to the business you're selling, of course.

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

This is good advice, but I'd add that even if you want to change the sector you work in it would be worth exhausting your own networks first. Usually the best jobs come via friends or friends of friends.

In this technological age we are supposedly only 8 links/people away from anyone in the world. Definitely worth asking your contacts.

9. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I've signed on and off for years before the mrs. got an amazing opportunity, and had a lot of experience with job sites, recruitment companies and such. I've even helped friends out with their applications, many of them now in employment.

The large recruitment companies do absolutely nothing, as some have said. All they do is basically give you more of what you can do yourself, make links and contacts. Polish your CV and make it the best it can be - don't listen to the jobcentre and seek help elsewhere, they genuinely give the wrong information about how to write a Curriculum Vitae and Cover letters. Go to a professional recruitment agency for some advice, Job centre haven't got a damn clue.

JSA is a nightmare, and if you're prepared to be out of work it's something you have to do. They treat everybody like crap, and will think of any reason to kick you off and sanction you to make up their numbers. They have set targets and you are nothing but a number to them - remember that. The best thing to do is to treat them as such, a service. You are their service user and without you, they have no job. Abuse their service as much as you can, take every course available and take and seize every contact you can get from them. I myself have a list of contacts in the recruitment industry from doing so and i've had head hunters trying to recruit me - my mrs. just makes more money at the moment and it's not worth me working with kids.

You can do a lot better than job websites do. Most job advertisements are not even put up online, they're through social media, twitter, facebook and within the companies themselves. It's set that nearly half of all jobs are not advertised online, so you may need to actually cold call to get what you want. People will tell you not to, but some companies will give you a shot if you try.