1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam It's not all about Steam

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Somer_Himpson, 27 Sep 2012.

1. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

On hols for a couple of weeks so just took a trip to my local Game store in Swansea.

Picked up Medal Of Honor (Don't shoot me, could have had Assassins Creed 2 in the offer) and F1 2011 for £15 and Max Payne 3 for £15 also.
    The same 3 games on Steam today would cost me £75.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

chances are though that when the appear on steam sales they would be less than £10 each.

i picked up Mass effect for £2.49 and Mess effect 2 for £4.99 which is stupidly cheap

3. Somer_Himpson

I agree, the Steam sale is fabtastic, when it is on. Asides from these times, Steam can be a bit of a rip on some games.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

More than that - I find it's rarely cheapest for any game outside of sales. I'm after Dirt 3 at the minute - Steam want £29.99, cheapest online is about £7 from dvd.co.uk

5. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

wait, your telling me there are places other than steam that offer better deals?

[​IMG]

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Steam outside of sales is expensive, not sure anyone would disagree with that. Game or hmv always sell the older pc games cheap as chips.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

No Game or HMV in my town anymore. Neither were cheap anyway so I rarely used them.

8. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I'm waiting for Steam to put Darksiders II in the sale. Last year, I bought the original version of Darksiders for £4.99 thinking it would be crap, but ended up really enjoying it.

9. Somer_Himpson

What a knob

10. Somer_Himpson

Max Payne 3 for £14.98 seems a good deal as it is a decent game and quite new.

11. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Ohhh whats mess effect 2 it sounds messy!!! :D ;)

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Sites that sell activation codes in particular are almost guaranteed to be cheaper than Steam for anything not on sale. Usually it's just by a dollar/pound or so on newer games but sometimes you can get fairly good deals with enough searching/luck/faith in services you've never heard of before. And you can just enter the code on Steam so you get all the nifty features of Steam anyway.

As for in store prices, you're lucky if your local retailer even sells PC games. Go into a GameStop looking for a PC-exclusive that isn't WoW or The Sims and you may as well be speaking a foreign language.

13. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I usually just order from steam because its instant. I bought borderlands 2 for £30 but could have got it off amazon for £25, but it would have taken 3-5 days to deliver.

The only other site I ever use is amazon, as they are occasionally a lot cheaper than steam even on sales.

14. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Play/Amazon is the cheapest, steam unless its in the sale, GAME, HMV all of them are too expensive.

15. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Tempted to post hippo gif.